The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED indicators
I am sure the Duke of Wellington was completely correct when he said:
"Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"

If you applied all the current Construction and Use requirements to classic vehicles then NONE of them would comply, and in particular as far as Austin Sevens are concerned, braking efficiency compared to moderns is far more relevant than whether a bulb carries an 'E' marker or not.
For those of you with nothing else to do this link takes you to the relevant UK legislation http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/...tents/made

Personally I would like to retain as much of the originality of my car as possible. LED bulbs cause as many problems as they solve in my opinion. A decent dynamo with the correct duty wiring and a good earth connection worked adequately for the last 90 years of my cars life, I see no reason to change now.

No where is my hammer? I’m off out with the other Luddites!

John
The failure to use standard head light bulbs meant Mini Coopers
were robbed of their Monte Carlo Rally success ... just saying...

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
On my Ruby I have a little gismo installed made by a member of the PWA7C which allows for better battery charging. I must admit that I do not fully understand the ins and outs of electricity and charging. I do however understand that overcharging a battery causes problems and shortens its life. He did away with the 3rd brush and wired in the gismo to the control box. He explained it like this. You can charge at a reasonable high rate without harm so long as the battery is not fully charged. (there is room for it to go) His gismo monitors the battery's state of charge and operates the cut out at this point thus allowing no more charge to the battery and therefore no over charging problems. The bonus is that the battery re charges faster after starting etc. and that coupled with an 80ah battery means I can drive at night without problems. I do not use LEDs they were not around when I had my modification. I am still on 6 volts.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I think that I am with jboy964 on this one.Having got a reasonably tidy 'matching numbers' car in more or less original spec, I don't see the point of trying to 'improve' it when the original equipment can be made to work perfectly reliably.

I have thought about LED bulbs but they seem to raise as as many problems as they solve. And, having fitted new bulbs all round, and found out how to focus and aim the headlamps, I have no real difficulties in using the car after dark.
Hi David

My car is not an original but although it’s modelled as
a Gordon England Cup it’s really a special, with its non standard alloy body
As such I am not a slave to originality, which is
Fine if you are lucky enough to have an original car.

So I have new steel crank , a Hardy Spicer prop shaft
, Andes gears and an Su Carb , so the bulbs are the least of my modifications!!

Regards

Bill G
Bill,

Special or not, yours is going to be a car to die for!

Regards,

David S.
I think the legislation refers to fitting LEDs to lights that weren't designed for LEDs, as our cars weren't fitted with flashing indicators the solution is to fit light units designed for LEDs.
Hi Dave

I made my own light housings so they will be illegal
as well I expect.

I have bought LED bulbs for the original
CAV headlamps so when convicted will ask for these to be taken into consideration.

Though by that time Scotland will be Independent
and I can say bye bye to DVLA anyway.

Regards

Bill G