The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tonneau cover
A double thickness of leathercloth isn't any tougher to sew than a pair of jeans. It's the needle that takes the strain and they come in packs of half a dozen for a reason.
Freecycle is a good place to find sewing machines. I asked on there for a broken one as I wanted a motor and was given two working machines. Recently, my daughter picked up a good working sewing machine to use herself.

Jamie.
Thanks for all the advice.....it’s got me thinking about having a go myself. At the very least it could be a template for a professionally made one. I like the idea of using the existing side rubber trim mounts for the side fasteners....less holes to drill.
You don't lose much by trying - as you say, it's only the drilling of holes that's irreversible!

I'm afraid I didn't quite find the energy to sew my own replacement cover tonight but I hope to do so over the weekend. Meanwhile here's my old one laid out upside down as a pattern (and with fasteners carefully removed for 'recycling'). I'm using exterior quality leathercloth from Woolies' Trim.

The only 'hint' I can offer is that you need to snip the hem once or twice going around the corners so it lays flat - stop slightly short of the seam. Where it goes around the hood stays I added an extra bit of leathercloth on the inside otherwise you get a 'bald' bit of seam at the snips.

I'm not holding mine up as a shining example of anything, merely hoping to show that it needn't be difficult.

[attachment=6417][attachment=6417]Hi

I've sewn leather upholstery (tuck and roll) and "Everflex" hoods and tonneau covers for my special. More recently bubble cord for my RK.  All on a 1953 Singer that was originally a treadle machine but was converted to electric before I acquired it.  I think the Singer has 2 advantages.  One it has a very strong and stiff frame and two it allows the pressure on the foot to be varied.  Important when you are sewing through several layers of leather. You can get special needles to cater for the different materials although I found it was the choice of thread and the tension you use on that thread was the most critical.

Good luck but be prepared to practice and possibly ruin one or two attempts!

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Howard.

Do you have any pictures of your car without the cover on? I like the look of the two tone paint work and should like to see how it looks more clearly. Also, I am intrigued by the second picture. Is the door partially open or does the curved aluminium trim on top of the door curve down onto the body panel?

Regards,

Jamie.