The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Yet another ulster
(20-03-2019, 07:29 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: ... Jay, The pattent plates were never riveted, they were nut and bolt ...

Tony.

Don't ever say never, Tony!

I agree the majority were held by 2BA setscrews and nuts, but there are several untouched surviving cars from the mid/late 1920s which have the patents plate held by dome-headed aluminium rivets:

Dear Tony,

Like all good thoroughbreds, it needs a lightweight jockey. Being 9 1/2 stone, if I were a bit younger I might have volunteered.......

David.  Smile
A very nice car Tony , it’s a keeper?

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
My AG 1932 had a plate riveted with 1/8 aluminium round head rivets ( €& crackle black original paint underneath 
David
Hi mike,

I never mind standing corrected.

Needless to say I've had plenty of cars, body's etc come through the buisiness.

Even in the early days, when the untouched true scrapper cars were coming in.

But I can't recall one ever having the patent place riveted.

I should replace never, with rearly?

Tony.
I don't know, Tony!

Most of the cars I have owned have been from the late Twenties or the mid Thirties, and without exception they have all had the Patents Plate attached with setscrews, so I was going to suggest that the alloy rivets were used only in the early/mid Twenties ... and then DavidH's reply scuppered that idea!

Let's just say either method could have been used ...
My 29 fabric saloon patent plate was definitely riveted on. I had to remove the rivets so that the dashboard could be painted.

Peter
Looks spot on Tony what a lovely job, will have to come and see it in the flesh,
Always welcome Jo.
Tony - Marvellous job, Congrats.  Re radiator shell,my prospective buyer quit his job and has gone Outback on a Geology kick, so can't locate him as yet.  Will try again for the next weeks, if no go will come back to you.  Cheers,  Bill in Oz