The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NIPPY GEARSTICK
Thanks, Dickie and Tony some good stuff to look at.
underhand selection very difficult may be me being heavy handed but very reluctant to go into 1st not smooth, so clasp hand around gearstick, bit of struggle for about 10 seconds then, boom its in and smashed knuckles.
don't forget guys this is all very new to me, gearbox fine on the move, just that 1st from neutral very stubborn.
Rob
Hi Rpm,
If the car does not go into first straight away, either dip the clutch in and out in neutral or go into second then back into first.
Check for clutch drag as well, the clutch lever heels might be a bit worn down.
This might help a little.

A friend has asked me to list it for you.

Tony.

[attachment=5800]
Very easy to whip the lever off.

The circlip above the chrome gate indicator is often (usually?) missing. While the lever's off check in this area for signs of cracking, a common failure which can leave you temporarily embarrassed. Repair by welding & grind back for tidiness.
Thanks so much for the pics Tony very helpful. Got plenty to go on. will have a play today and hopefully find the answer.
The info and repair nice to know, cheers Chris.
Rob
Hey, Think I may have found the reason for the difficulty in selecting 1st. Gearstick measures 14". Gear knob is just under the dash when in 1st, so new gear lever and I hope no more hand pain.
Rob
I have two Nippys and don't have a problem hitting my hand on the dash. I think the lever angle is different.
On FB Nippy group, there is a discussion on the exact measurements for gearsticks - but some of you aren't on there! The difficulty seems to be that you can measure in lots of slightly different ways. The knob can also extend the length if not screwed down on the thread.

To get some comparative measurements, it has been suggested to measure from the very EDGE of the chrome plate to the top of the knob, in a straight line, also noting the amount of thread showing. I compared a box saloon and a purported Nippy lever and the angle of the former was less than on the latter. On the Box, the angle is "a right angle... plus half of a right angle" approx. i.e. about 135 degrees. You can sketch the radiused line on paper directly against the stick, and then extrapolate to take angle to a point and try the right angle thing.

Any data you can volunteer?

Bill S's post from old forum:
"1923 lever from top of gate to top of knob = 10"
1928 lever from top of gate to top of knob = 12 1/4"
1929 lever from top of box to top of knob = 16"

Ruby lever from chrome plate to top of knob = 19 1/16"
Nippy lever from chrome plate to top of knob = 17 1/16"
Type 65 factory drawing of ditto = 15 7/8" ? (Would think it should be longer than a Ruby one as you're sitting further back?).
First two - knobs aluminium 1 1/4" diam
Later ones plastic 1 3/16" diam".

Here is 1933 (65) drawing, but measurement is to pivot point in box lid and not to edge of ball. But angle assessable.
.jpg   65 gearstick.jpg (Size: 43.69 KB / Downloads: 143)
Good morning everyone,
I've just been and measured the gear lever on my Nippy. It's 16 1/2 inches long measuring round the outside length from the silver plate to the end of the stick. It gives clearance of just under 2 inches to the dashboard base in 1st and almost 5 inches to the tunnel in 2nd. I've never had any issues about hitting my hand on anything in any gear in 30 years of driving the car regularly. I don't know if that helps or not?
Best wishes,
Nick
Nick, as per last post, what is it from nearside of chrome edge, STRAIGHT distance to top of knob pls?