The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Differential oil seals
I am new to this forum and apologise if this question has been asked before. I am replacing the oil felts in the rear axle on my Mk 2 Ruby. I bought a pair of lip seals from the old Seven Workshop a while ago but I am finding it impossible to get them to go into the metal cups in the casing. I turned up a drift that fits the bore and is just smaller than the O.D. of the seal but to no avail. The new Seven Workshop are sending me some more as they have not heard of any problems with those they now sell.
I have owned my Seven since 1962 when I bought it from a scrap yard for £5 and then a little later I bought another for spares for £2 some of which I am still using for replacements, although I never got around to fitting the twin carb set up that I bought. I will be downsizing soon, is this the place to advertise my unwanted bits?  Martyn
Martyn the imperial size seals did not fit very well the metric size seal is a much better fit size 23x38x8 see BA7C technical web site "axle oil leaks" for more information.   Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Welcome aboard Martyn!

Dunno about seals - I still use felts - but yes this is a great place to advertise spare bits and pieces! And no eBay / paypal fees.

A car for £2? Those were the days...
If it's any consolation I'm not sure that twin carbs offer any real benefit.

.jpg   Diff seal.JPG (Size: 245.18 KB / Downloads: 166) I use the W17508737R4 as recommended in the Doug Woodrow book and throw that cup and it's spring ring in a tin of not so useful bits.
Chris, I think you mean the twin carbs offer no real benefit
Hi Marytn,

I put a few of these in to my sports a while back.  Like you I found that they were not going to go in without a fight/encouragement.

My method was to pop the seals in to a bag and then leave in the coldest part of the freezer for an hour or so, the idea is to get them cold enough to shrink just a tiny bit.  I then lightly greased the cup and got a few aluminium jaws ready in the vice.  I then quickly removed the seals and pushed them in using the vice, being really careful to make sure they went in square.

All seemed to work ok and 1,000km later no sign of a leak. 
Steve & Tate Davidson
Perpetual Amateur Austineers
Indeed I did Zeto - now corrected.