The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supercharger lubrication
I'm working on a superchaged Ausin Seven racer  Smile
Have some difficulties understanding a few things, espacially the lubrication of the supercharger.

First of all the supercharger is mounted towards front from engine block. All photos of other I have found superchargers seem to be mounted the other way around, beside the engine block below exhaust manifold. 
What would the orgon of this setup be?

Next there is a number of nozzles, mostly for lubrication I assume, that I need to understand how the should be connected.
See the photos where I have marked the different nozzles with red letters A-G

A: In the rear on engine block
B: Adjustable valve on supercharger
C: Threaded hole beside B
D: Center of crankshaft (assume that this is oil pressure out?)
E: Threaded nozzle with on/off valve on front end plate of supercharger
F: Second nozzle on front end plate of supercharger
G: Nozzle on front of engine block

Would very much appreciate to get some guidance on understanding and how to connect these nozzles / lubrication points. 

[Image: 1.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: 3.jpg]

[Image: 4.jpg]

[Image: 5.jpg]

[Image: 6.jpg]

[Image: 7.jpg]

[Image: 8.jpg]

Regards 
Conny Gillström
Certainly a one off.I'm not familiar with the supercharger but G should connect to D. G is from the oil gallery from the pump to D feed to the crankshaft.
A is on the same gallery,normally just to the oil gauge but may be teed off to feed the s/c?
Can't help further.Hope it has an oversized pump to cope with the demand.
Has the supercharger got its own oil pump?
As in the turbo'd bantam thread it could do with some more studs holding the block on I think.
I have no experience of supercharging a7's but have successfully supercharged other classic cars.

My first thought is that the Supercharger you have looks MASSIVE for a 750cc engine. Do you know what the effective volume of the blower is? These are usually rated at so many cubic feet or meters / so many thousand RPM.

To some extent the blower should be matched to the size of the engine, too small & the blower is always over revving & heating the mixture up too much, too large & it is never working efficiently.
Hi again :-)
Thanks for replies!

The car was half restored when we took if for completion of the restoration, so I dont have the full history behind the car or engine. 

This is the car:
[Image: 9.jpg]

When I have searched for info it looks very mych similar to the cars on this link¨:
http://www.austin7club.org/austin_7_'raid'_cars.htm

What type or manufacturer of supercharger can it be? 

Regards Conny
Beautiful engineering, I bet this has lovely whine with those spur cut timing gears as well as the supercharger itself.
A lot of engineering has gone into this, is the original engineer/builder known or contactable?
Supercharger looks like a Marshal/Godfrey.
Martin at  Vintage MG might be able to help http://www.vintagemgparts.com/parts_cata...ml#jump_10
Lots of MMM cars are supercharged, and not all with a volumex.
Looks rather like a Marshall Mk X11 cabin blower
I have just been talking to David Lowe who built some of the Raid cars - he mentioned a later car he built for Ross Stewart as a copy of the Raid cars but with a bigger blower.

This car went to Japan but no later history  known.

If this car came from Japan it his highly likely the same car.

Tony in Melbourne.
(12-03-2019, 05:33 PM)mk1-mark Wrote: My first thought is that the Supercharger you have looks MASSIVE for a 750cc engine.

Using a quick tooth count of those spur gears in the photos the blower looks to be running at engine speed. That blower looks to to be a bigger brother of the Godfrey Mk 22 cabin blower I fitted to an A7 racer some years ago, that needed to be run at 1.3 x engine speed to achieve 8 lbs of gauge boost.
Thanks a lot for good information!

Now its clear that the blower is a Marshall cabin blower, and by knowing that it will be much easier. 

We are now trying to find out how the car ended up here in Sweden and if we can trace its history...

Where would it be possible to find more info of those "Raid" cars? When and where were they built? How many?