The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem reassembling gearbox
Putting my 3 synchro box back together having put new balls and springs in the synchro. Seems alright until I put the layshaft back in then it all locks up is this correct or have I done something daft?
2 gears selected at once?
I recently assembled my box with a new second gear and bearings
And although I can select all gears, it’s very stiff to turn so contemplating dismantling it and start again !!!
Hope you fix yours!!

Regards
Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
I would have thought that if everything has just gone back in it would be in neutral. Selectors not fitted yet maybe I need to put them in and give it good rattle.
When assembling a gearbox the layshaft assy should be fitted first to check end float, 2thou between bush and casing check when cold if the casing has been heated  to fit layshaft spindle allow to cool before checking clearance as it makes a difference and tighten the layshaft fixing bolts fully when checking clearance. If its slack you need to shim the front bush if you don't have enough clearance use a thicker l/shaft gasket or remove some metal from the face of the bush.
 Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It has a new bush on the layshaft assembly and clearance appeared to be alright before I put it all together again. Just have to take it all apart check everything again.