The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby teething troubles..
Hi all, another of the many little teething problems with Ruby, the central unit on my steering column which contains the horn and indicator switches and the cable down through the centre of the steering box rotates at annoyingly regular intervals, despite various attempts to solve the issue.
This has caused damage to the new coating on the steering wheel but also curtails trips out to test my brakes.
I have attached a couple of pictures on a word document.
All words of wisdom and admonishment gratefully received.
Best regards
Denis S

Attached Files
.docx   Steering column.docx (Size: 624.8 KB / Downloads: 61)
Your use of a clamp is correct Denis - but it is not gripping hard enough. I think you will need something more substantial than a jubilee. The split brass end that it surrounds must firmly grip the stator tube in which the cable is running if it is to prevent rotation.
Dennis - your jubilee clip is probably not strong enough to squeeze the splits in the clamping tube enough to hold the stator tube in place. What you need is shown here, from the parts book. A nut and bolt (1/4 from memory) goes through the two 'loops' at the bottom of the clamp and pulls it all together.
My Ruby doesn't have a bush at the top of the stator and it does have some lateral movement - that doesn't mean there shouldn't be one but I can live with it!
Alastair

Attached Files
.png   clamp.png (Size: 63.53 KB / Downloads: 147)
Excellent guys many thanks, haven’t seen anything that look like that in amongst the many boxes that come with Ruby so will have to make one up.
Thank again
Your problem may be that the clip is too close to the steering tube. The brass tube that has the split in it should be clamped further down its length, more towards its lowest end.