The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cars that were perfect first time
here is the link anyway... they seem to have an RP! https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/cars...first-time

Mustang there in off white, James! it even gets TWO pictures.
Ever the pedant...

How exactly is an E39 five series (or indeed a Porsche 996) 'First time round'?
I would nominate the first  George Roesch designed Talbot 14/45 of 1926; it probably was not perfect straight out of the box, but it was pretty exceptional considering the first thousand cars were laid down without a single prototype being built.
They note the VW Beetle from 1948. Since the Bug started life in '38, by '48 it had already had most of the "bugs" worked out. While I liked my Fiesta, I think the cable operated clutch was a step backward, rather than forward, from the Mini.

Erich in Seattle
(08-03-2019, 10:34 AM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: In saying that, I knew people who drove early Beetles who would put a couple of paving slabs in the front end so they would go round corners!

Early Porsche 911s had that built in from the factory, cast iron weights hidden in the front bumper to help make the car more stable apparently.

Simon
I loved my 2CVs - moved the contents of a whole house in one once, took several trips...
Before I had the C15 van I had a 2CV van (two actually). It took capability to an extreme level as long as you weren't bothered about style, performance or sophistication. Bit like an A7 really, but with good brakes, amazing roadholding and a heater.

[Image: 20190308-214918.jpg]
The article is typical of the waffle used to fill in between the pretty colour photos in modern car magazines. The Beetle illustrated is radicaly different from the original. There were a myriad innovative cars introduced without a lot of problems and long continued, and vastly more not innovative. (Morris Oxford, Dodge 4, Model A, Chev 6. Do early problems preclude the Ford v8 etc etc)
For balanced rational objective reads, better off with the likes of the VCC Edwardian and Light Car mag...(or this Forum!)

Thanks for drawing attention to it nonetheless.
2CV van?...... some of us still use one, nearly every day !
(08-03-2019, 08:27 PM)jansens Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 10:34 AM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: In saying that, I knew people who drove early Beetles who would put a couple of paving slabs in the front end so they would go round corners!

Early Porsche 911s had that built in from the factory, cast iron weights hidden in the front bumper to help make the car more stable apparently.

Simon
I'd read Porsche 911,A tribute of development over design.