The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK car in Europe after 29 March
Not opening the debate of if we should or should not leave, but the FBHVC have issued the checklist below most of which I am sure we all expected and just a bit more paperwork.  But the one about Roadworthiness and possibly needed to get an MOT I had not thought of.  The MOT issue may be one to watch more closely if you done have an MOT and looking to take your A7 abroad this year and don't currently have an MOT.

BREXIT CHECKLIST

The Federation recognises that you might be considering taking your historic vehicle across the Channel, or into the Republic of Ireland, this year.

You might be concerned about what will be different if the UK should leave the EU on 29 March 2019 without any deal having been achieved.

In anything concerning this subject, in the first instance you should consult Government websites. As departments develop their plans, information is posted online on a regular basis.

The following are areas which the Federation considers you should think about if you are intending to travel, either as a driver or passenger.

·      You should consider your insurance, both vehicle and personal.

o  The Insurance Directive will cease to be effective and there could be changes to how claims would be dealt with. Ask your motor insurer.

o  You may require a Green Card to visit EU countries, and not all EU countries accept the same Green Card. Your motor insurer should know the various rules

o  Your European Health Insurance Card will no longer be of any effect. Thus you should consider establishing that your insurance cover includes full health insurance, including, if required, cover against the occurrence of existing medical conditions.

·      You may need any driver to acquire an International Driving Permit

·      You will require to show a separate GB plate even if your vehicle is identified as being registered in the UK by the EU ‘GB’ number plate.

·      The Roadworthiness Testing Directive will no longer apply. You may wish to submit your vehicle to an MOT test, even if it is exempt, so that you will be in possession of evidence that the vehicle has passed a roadworthiness test if local law enforcement requests.

·      Not all local Low Emission Zones currently exempt historic vehicles. There may be some which exempt only historic vehicles from the EU. You will need to check locally.
This advice must not be regarded as complete or accurate; it is offered only as a useful checklist. If you have specific questions, we will try to help, but in the current uncertainty, we will not necessarily know the answer.
The MOT in France, (Controlle technique) has been abandoned for vehicles de collection, however if your carte grise (Log book) doesn't state "collection" then the car must have a control tech' certificate. So I suppose that UK registered vehicles could fall into the category of requiring an MOT as UK log books do not state "collection". Its the sort of thing a gendarme could not understand and pull someone up for it, just to be officious!

My French reg 2Cv which is 1962 vintage could be collection, BUT I choose to have it "non Collection" and have a control tech every 2 years just to preserve the ancient registration number. If I chose to change the carte Grise (Log book) to "collection" I would have to change the registration number to a modern format.
Whilst Bob is quite right, I wouldn't worry unduly about the fact that UK classic cars are now exempt MOT. In France all vehicles subject to the "Contrôle Technique" regime have to carry a dated "vignette" on the windscreen, but those that are exempt have no requirement. The exemption to vehicles prior to 1960 is as a result of a European directive.

I am sure that after "Brexit" the previous protocols regarding Construction & Use will still apply, the basis of which is that if it's legal in the Country of origin, then it's legal in Europe for the duration of the visit. I can't see that changing otherwise continental hauliers are in for a shock...

The UK driving Licence is a European format so should be acceptable, but it would be prudent (certainly until we see how things are going) for those of you planning a European driving holiday in the months after Brexit to carry a Green Card for the Insurance, and an International Driving permit just to be on the safe side as well as all the other necessary paperwork.

To be fair I believe the Gendarmerie and the Police Nationale in France are far too busy with other things at the moment  for them to be too concerned about a few old cars from foreign parts. Don't forget your "Gilet Jaune" and a warning triangle - the breathalyser requirement seems to have been shelved. It's still on the statute books but not being enforced.

Don't forget to give the protestors a toot when you pass them. It will be appreciated.
Bon voyage.
The Money Saving Expert has the current situation plus some useful advice.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2...to-contac/