The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby number plate without bumpers.

Busily trying to complete the rebuild on my Mk1 Ruby I want to avoid the weight and expense of bumper bars. And I quite like the frontal appearance of the Opal and the Ruby smokers hatch.

Problem is where to mount the number plate so that the starting handle can be used. The bumper and number plate are mounted well forward so the starting handle spins behind them. Mounting the number plate in the obvious position without a bumper means the starting handle hits the plate!

Googling 'Austin Opal' brings up images mainly with no starting handle fitted at all, a couple with a cranked handle, and one with a plate mounted very low. A low plate allows the handle to spin, but it looks too low.

Your thoughts and ideas are welcome please.

.jpg   austin_7_austin_7_opal_1936_5960129517075864746.jpg (Size: 58.37 KB / Downloads: 415)

A cranked handle?
Non bumper models had a removable starting handle. The mounting brackets on my Opal are set back far enough to use the handle in front of the plate.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.

.jpeg   DDD1263C-01D2-41A5-A88F-7D5A318A30A6.jpeg (Size: 177.88 KB / Downloads: 313)
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Andrew,

I had a similar issue with a ORT that came in to me last year - it arrived with a non detachable handle and the number plate on the apron.

I managed to find a special cranked handle in the end which allowed me to put the plate back where it should have been.

Hope it helps you.

I have an Opal / 2-seater type long nosepiece with square ended shaft which I am prepared to sell to someone who has a use for it. I do not have the handle to go with it, but this should be fairly easy to make; come to that I have a standard handle spare (without ferrule) which could be modified.
Robert Leigh
The cranked handle (fixed and removable) is key to it working if the number plate is fitted in the correct place for a bumperless car.
Presumably bending a handle into a cranked shape is possible, or are the very brittle Iron?
The one I posted above is the only one like it that I have seen. It looked to have been done very well, I am tempted to say factory but have never seen another...
Many years ago a friend had an Opal with a detachable starting handle, and another Seven owner not used to the detachable feature swung the engine, the handle detached and smashed an original headlamp glass.
In the late 60s trying to start my Opal after a flat battery due to the parking lights having to be left on, I managed to hit myself on the cheek bone with the squared end of the starting handle, I've still got the scar. I've not done it since.