The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin new ruby
Thanks for all the help, had a look.today it was on a farm about 20 mile away . In the barn was a rolling chassis not in bad condition! But the body and engine were outside and been.there about 40.years body had no doors or roof had been cut off from bottom of windows! But looking it had wind down rear windows . Engine well the sump.had rusted away no head and pits in bore about 1/8 inch deep? Anyway I've come home with.a very usable rolling chassis and v5 , going back for engine and box will recover what I can. Body is that rotten I don't think.there is anything worth removing off it ! But I've . Got two box's that have dash and electrics in . No headlights or other lights , looks like one special is going to get built.
I'm getting older and getting more projects to build?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
The "New Ruby" ie. the last version ARR body style, had wind up rear windows.

And a three bearing engine, which is probably why it was laid up in the first place, with a broken crank.

Three bearing instantly recognisable by the small bolt head on the outside of the case  opposite the middle of the camshaft.

Simon
Sounds like a great find Spannerman! I've not had an offer like that in years...

I'd get it all back home if I were you then you can sort the wheat from the chaff. It's astonishing what can be reclaimed with a bit of willpower. Even if the engine / body are shot take a good look at all the small bits many of which will sell on eBay if nothing else.
Yes it is a 3 bearing.engine and a quick look I thought the crank had broken at rear ! I Think.a lot of parts had been.taken for spares in the past. It was a good find and i got for a very good price he would not take any more so will make.a good  special. I won't say how much but it was a bargain ! Only one condition he wants to see it when.I finish it.
Collect even the bits you cannot see immediate the use for.

I really wish that I hadn't slung the B posts from a rotten body - there are a couple of locating catch sockets, and other things on them that never come up on the auction sites.

Simon
Just for your info.  I doubt there'd be too many people who've bored their 747cc engine out past 803cc successfully, so I'd ignore the claimed 885cc.   Good Luck,   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Spannerman, we have the opposite problem - a really nice 1937 Ruby body that we rescued from probable scrapping a couple of years ago, but no chassis to put it on!
Well in last two days I've been back to the farm with some tools . Had a very good look around for parts from car not a lot found taken all brackets of remains of body .
So I've got a good rollng chassis  no engine and box ! , got a dashboard and that's it?
My funds don't allow me to rebuild into a ruby so a special it is I've got good engineering skills
So I'm going to build  a 2 seat sports car not a replica of anything but what I like!  And I'm  lucky to have an English wheel and other usefull metal working tools so that is what it will be (i hope?)
Why don't you speak to people like Martin and find out how much an existing spare body might be - you might be surprised. Some get broken...
Or the other thing you could do is follow the Priors idea for a sport saloon body, (thread elsewhere) so you don't have to deal with the DVLA in changing the logbook...
Well had a good think about what to do ? It's been desided by her who must be obeyed, went in house and found her watching youtube classic Hill climbing and all I got from her was your going to build one of them " I want to have a go " so that's it decided or my life will not be good!!
She has done it on two wheels 15-20 year ago and all ways came about half way up the field so to make my life a bit safer that's what I'm going to build? Will post.pics as I go along. I've done 3or4 specials in.the past and had no problems with dvla when I've had them inspected but allways the first time!