The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gasket paper thickness
A question for the expert engineers.
Nobody seems to supply banjo gaskets for between  the late, heavy 1938/9 axle, so am going to make one.
First hurdle = where can I get gasket paper.......lucky.....first phone call,  to local very small factor..."yes I have two thicknesses - thick and thin,   13 inch X 13 inch sheets.  Took metric micrometer with me and found:-
Thin  = 3.5mm (0.013 inches - 13 thou)
Thick = 0.8mm (0.031 inches - 31 thou)
The make is anonymous.
Question....which thickness to use for banjo joint.....my thinking is the thick?
I will use the thin for the adjuster?

Ebay etc. would have involved a 1 week delay for delivery......already SEVERAL weeks delay on this axle alone waiting for bits!!!

Dennis
hi denis,

as a supplier, 

from memory gaskets for the austin 7 are usually 17 thou thin or 27 thou thick.

the banjos on the austin 7 are the thicker 27 thou.

so use the thick opsion offered.

tony
Hi Dennis,
It probably doesn't make any difference as the adjusters will take up any dimensional changes - as Tony suggests, if you've got a choice go for the thicker.

Other than head and the long manifold gaskets I make all my own. Christmas wrapping paper comes rolled up on a sheet of superb brown paper that makes great gaskets. It's very satisfying rubbing your slightly oily finger over the gasket paper to give an outline; punch out the holes with a wad punch first, then cut the internal holes with a curved pair of nail scissors and finally go round the outside of the gasket.

I've got the late big axle as well, I can't remember if the bolts are in blind holes or if you've got to seal them as well to keep the oil in?

Sounds like you're making progress with your axle, I hope it goes well.

Dave
Hello Dennis,

if it helps you to know, and saves you time - I have not used paper gaskets in back axles for many years now.

I currently use: Loctite 518 flange sealant, fabulous stuff.
(16-09-2017, 06:06 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Hello Dennis,

if it helps you to know, and saves you time - I have not used paper gaskets in back axles for many years now.

I currently use:  Loctite 518 flange sealant, fabulous stuff.

Do remember, no paper gaskets should be fitted dry anyway. 

The use of locatite could save you making a gasket. Well done R.

Bit more traditional myself, I use paper gaskets with a gasket sealant.

Tony.
I used to do this as well Tony - until it was pointed out to me that it increased the number faces and therefore the possibility to leak.

I understand the desire to use paper gaskets despite not doing so myself. Smile
Just endorsing Ruairidh's comment, I also use Loctite 518 alone on back axle banjos.....and many other joints!
Black Art Enthusiast