The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nippy head gasket
Did this for an overbored block with aluminium head. The nip is made by the s/steel 'ring' which seems to work well. Some initial water escape from the manifold side which seems to have subsided. Head torqued to 20 lb ft only still using 5/16ths studs. No heat treatment.

Paul N-M

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice work Paul
Thats really excellent, far better than my man shed effort. I did think about the possibility of making the water passage holes in the gasket slightly bigger and fitting some viton or PTFE "O" rings in to seal the the head gasket. Anybody tried that or something similar yet? Would depend on the condition of the block and head around the water passages.
Not that exactly Scarlet but I did attempt to address slowly expanding water passages in the head by boring them oversize and loctiting in inserts to bring them back to size. Only done 1000 miles since but it hasn't spat them out yet. The head did needed facing flat afterwards.
Hi All
Congratulations to all the gasket makers
What Thickness copper is being used on these Heads
Normally copper Head gaskets will be varied in thickness depending on  Tuning requirements  (ie) lower or higher Compression
Cheers
Colin
NZ
Really impressed by the gasket makers. I did once make a pair of copper gaskets for a 2 stroke 2 cylinder marine engine for a boat I had. I cut these out with a coping saw and drilled the stud holes by clamping the 2 heads together and using the stud holes as guides. They were annealed with a blowtorch and cleaned up with a scotch pad. They were very successful and gave many years of good service. No where near the standard shown here though!
Hi Colin,
Just picked up your question. 0.5mm copper sheet.

Paul
THANKS PAUL

Colin NZ
I am always surprised that solid gaskets without  narrow raised  borders work. With the various large temperature gradients it is difficult to imagine surfaces remaining flat. 

To remedy corroded holes, O rings seem a good idea; one problem is that  any significant gas pressure leakage is in the direction opposite that O rings work. Where there is room, fibre rings probably just as effective. but either way the machining is much the same as involved as for a brass insert.

Has anyone had experience with lapped heads without gasket?