The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electronic distributor - What's that fluffy green ring for?
Does that ring serve any important purpose? I couldn't get it into the housing, it was too tight. The original distributor didn't have one, so I've left it off. the car seems to run OK.

Alan
I guess its there to make a seal between the shaft and the housing, to prevent grease from the gears leaking out. It will go in with a bit of brute force but as you say it shouldn't make much difference - I've never suffered a leak like that and as we all know, Sevens will usually expel lubricants at any opportunity!
Alastair
I've been told to remove it, not required on an Austin 7
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Thankyou both. I'll leave well alone.
Alan
(16-09-2017, 10:57 AM)Alan Ashton Wrote: Thankyou both. I'll leave well alone.
Alan

Has anyone tried the accuspark module in an original distributor, they seem reasonably priced at £39 and worth a go
Yes - it fits straight on top in place of the original base plate.

The only other thing to do is put the magnet ring over the points cam.
(16-09-2017, 10:18 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Yes - it fits straight on top in place of the original base plate.  

The only other thing to do is put the magnet ring over the points cam.

Thanks Ruairidh, I will get one as it seems a good item and many here have had good results with the complete distributor.
I have couple of distributors in good condition with good gears so no point in renewing them.
I agree - however, you get a brand new drive gear, bob weights, cap, acorns and rotor arm (plus body and spindle) for not a lot more - you do the math...
And for lazy old sods like me a brand new one will (hopefully) make constantly yanking the advance/retard lever back and forth on my tired dj4 a thing of the past.  Set it and forget it?
Peter.
Cornwall, where the Druids are happy prancing round stone circles as that red ball in the sky has returned at last.
I thought half the fun of driving a seven was having levers to play with and keep yourself amused!  Big Grin
Black Art Enthusiast