The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
smart chargers and Accumates
I noted my newish Exide 80aH is at about 6.15V after charging and was a bit sluggish on the starter motor. I use this smart charger on 'low' mostly, and it goes to green light after an hour or so and then cycles if you leave it on (which I largely don't), I imagine staying on the green. I suppose I'm not benefiting from that continual charge, but not sure whether there is a benefit after the green light comes on.

Does anyone know if the accumate will be substantially different from this smart charger? I know they are well respected and I will buy one if I need to, but don't want to if this is substantially the same...

Assuming you are using an accurate digital meter, 6.15 (long) after charging is low. 
4 amps is a modest charge rate for a significantly flat 80 ah battery.
Not enough info to comment. 
What do specs claim for low setting? 
Whilst being charged would expect to attain at least 7.2v on full mode, dropping to about 6.7 on float, if that is a continuous function.
The Accumate is a super device and in my experience beats anything else I have tried.
However to get the full benefit you need to leave it on all the time. 
I am currently getting eight years use out of the Exide 80 amp hr  batteries using Accurate chargers, have one on each car.
thanks both.
Bob - low is 1.5A. And in practice, with new battery not in use and isolated by a kill switch, putting it on every week or so on LOW results in light going green again after an hour or so, when I stop it.

Sounds like I need to buy the accumate just because of the uncertainty of this one.
I have always used one of these from Aldi:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/auto-xs-car-batte...3233607400

I appreciate Lidle do similar. I think it was about £15 with 3 year guarantee.

My 7 can have long idle periods and I leave it on permanently. My battery (56A) is now 7 years old and spins the engine over with gusto showing no signs of getting old.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
As I understand it, smart chargers only apply charge if the battery isn't fully charged. When it reaches full charge they stop charging but monitor the voltage and will charge again if needed. They can be left on indefinitely.
Jim
ok, so my 14 hours on a 1.5A smart charge has done no more and my battery is still on 6.18V. Which supports Jim's theory (thanks btw) as the light is 'green' from the very start of this session.

So will an accumate actually make any difference if I buy one? I note Accumates are 1.2A - even less than mine - so I'm wondering on presumably the threshold device in mine being duff/too low, as I'd expect the Accumate to be continuing to charge till 6.8V or so to be reached?
I have about 5 of the Aldi chargers the only problem with the ones they sell here in Aus is they do not resume charging after a power cut so you need to keep an eye on them. 
With regard to the low voltage I would try another, maybe not smart charger just one that can deliver at least 4 amps, give it a few hours and measure again also check your multimeter.
Cheers

Mark
I've two of the Lidl chargers and they work fine. As above you do have to re-set them after a power cut but once you know that, it's no real issue.

Steve
Jon while you are in there, clean all the battery cable fixing points - both the terminals & the terminal clamps, apply a tiny wipe of vaseline to the terminals & inside the terminal clamp once they are sanded clean, also sand the fixing at the battery lead on the starter, but most importantly the return earth from the battery to the motor - you should ideally have another lead from the motor to the chassis / body especially if you have a rubber footed crankcase. I normally run a lead from one of the starter bolts to the chassis.

Bad earths can lead to poor cranking & hard starting. I have 2 smart chargers from Granite Digital in the USA and leave batteries on them for extended periods and have never had a problem

Aye
Greig