The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Given the damage caused by Facebook around the world I don't think it should be held up as away to go . Facebook people seem to have limited attention span and look for quick fixes- forums are for a proper exchange of information . Just my view.
Please, can we just have a vote on keeping or removing the stars and/or reputation?
I am another who never looks at stars or reputation. I treat online forums as if it were the pub. You pop along, enjoy a few drinks and over time learn who to listen to and when, who you want to drink with and who you don't. But we can still all share the same pub.

Tony, that is very true in the software industry, quick fixes are all the rage (stackoverflow anyone?). I recently interviewed someone and he lost a few points from me when he said when he got stuck on a coding issue he would go to online forums to find the answer first and only after that read the actual documentation for the thing he was trying to use.

Simon
There is potential for some of the posts on this thread to be justifiably labelled as a form of inverted snobbery.

Ignore what you don't like, celebrate what you do and let's hope none of us have so little to do in our lives that we divert from discussion about what matters in life - Austin Sevens.
HERE HERE !!
Talking of Austin Sevens- I had better check and see if my knobs are inverted Big Grin
(27-02-2019, 08:24 PM)merlinart Wrote: I look up to him, he looks down at me.....I just know my place!

Dyslexic

Why does any forum need or use a sycophantic back scratching system anyway.....the content of the proposition/question/answer should stand up on it's own surely?

We the uninformed would LIKE to know if a proposition is popular and bears further investigation, as for humour every         comedian LIKES applause.

All this "like/reputation" stuff is simply encroaching Americanisation, and who needs such nonsense anyway?

I'm with you on this one Arthur, but beware of throwing the baby out with the bathwater!

And to reply to Austin Carr I'm in the removal camp    cheers  Russell
It all seems wrong. My reputation is zero despite someone giving me +1. i was also given -1 for no apparent reason.
"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne? Here? In a student-nurses hall of residence? At three o'clock in the morning? With my reputation? Has no-one thought of the consequences? Oh well."

(From the wonderful Fast Show)
(28-02-2019, 12:54 AM)andrew34ruby Wrote: It all seems wrong. My reputation is zero despite someone giving me +1. i was also given -1 for no apparent reason.

Can I refer the honourable gentleman to the comment made earlier concerning the “report” button.