The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auction including nippy crankcase
Tony, Is the chassis number visible? It did occure to me that with the other Nippy bits in the collection, the chassis could have been from a Nippy, too.
Hi mike,

It's been a busy week. 

I had a delivery of spares from Germany Thursday, nippy Ulster and chummy hoods. Jack FRENCH cams. Renault rods etc etc. I've not had a chance to even look at yet.

I also collected up pheonix rods I need to sort for customers, and pigsty exhausts I haven't even taken out of the pick-up yet.

On top of that I now have a poorly van full of auction buys.

I'll check numbers in good time and let you all know the results.

But I also have another busy week coming up, have to take a car to auction. Slot machines to auction. And two auctions to attend. On top of trying to sort some of last week out.

Tony.
(03-03-2019, 03:53 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: It did occur to me that with the other Nippy bits in the collection, the chassis could have been from a Nippy, too.

I thought the rear crossmember brake cable brackets weren't correct... you can see them on a couple of the pics?
well here is the ALTA head.

The interesting thing for me, is I sold this on ebay around 2 years ago.

It came of an engine that the owner had blown the starter of the bell house. And bust a lump off. The engine was understood to be the original from his brough superior. He had some lovely pics of the bike with himself siting on it in the 1960s. Although the bike had been sold off buy the time I was emptying his shed.

Tony.

[attachment=5625]

Here is the 9E nippy head that also came with the engine.

I've not owned this one before  Big Grin 

Looks in really good order, I'll test it for leaks latter.

Don't know if the second pic will show it, but the underside looks like it's been coppered.

Tony

[attachment=5626]

Here the one that threw me in the pictures.

The gearbox clearly has a 4 speed crash top.

[attachment=5627]

Here's what others couldn't see.

S252 on rear of the 4 speed synchro box.

[attachment=5628]
A friend has a head, Nippy I think, that has been coppered.
Jim
Interesting jim,

I've had a few of these, this is the first I remember being coppered.

Here's the underside.

Tony.

[attachment=5632]
It was a common practice at one time. VW Derrington would copperise your cylinder head for 25 shillings. Copperising was supposed to improve the heat flow and prevent local hotspots. Whether it worked or not I’m not so sure. Current theory is you get more power out of an iron head because the heat flow is slower. Copper would make it worse, maybe?
Alan Fairless
Information 
Here is the engine.

I now a couple of people were looking at the one on ebay for £1,200

So if anyone is interested in this one for £750 let me know. Before I list it elsewhere.

Two feet are missing, but it's not broken through to the inside. So welding should be farely straight forward.

Tony.

[attachment=5633]

[attachment=5634]

[attachment=5635]
The chassis in the original picture shows a humongous dent in the front nearside wheel, and I believe some damage to the front nearside suspension. The energy necessary to do that would have transferred a considerable amount of force into the chassis. I suspect that the damage to the two opposing feet on this engine may well be associated with the collision that damaged the f/n/s wheel. That being so, the twisting force necessary to break off two of the engine mountings may well have caused some internal damage to the workings of the engine that aren't readily apparent. Caveat emptor.
Hi Reckless, I don’t believe that engine was in that chassis, clearly the mountings on the chassis are for a BMC A series.
This was a job lt cobbled together for the auction imho