The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auction including nippy crankcase
Have just seen an ad on Car and Classic for a so called Ruby chassis for auction by Dee Atkinson &Harrison at Drifield in Yorkshire on 2/3/19, estimated at £300. It looks to have a nippy crankcase and deep sump with it (possible bottom half of engine). It may be useful to someone?
Good spot Lance, LINK and full size photos...

[Image: 11153420.jpg]

[Image: 11153422.jpg]

[Image: 11153424.jpg]

[Image: 11153426.jpg]

[Image: 11153428.jpg]
Has Nippy crank and rods in it too.
The Chassis has obviously had a BMC A series engine and box in it.
wonder what the chassis number is. obviously not nippy from rear crossmember brakecable brackets?
Also Morris Minor brakes & pull up handbrakeand what looks like a split front axle? Maybe it was a trials special ?
Always BEWARE?

When getting excited on auctions.

not everything is what it seams.

THE NIPPY ENGINE HAS THE FRONT FOOT BROKEN OFF THE CRANKCASE.

This is why GOOD QUALITY original parts are so valuable, there is far to much broken scrap out there.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Tony.

PS; on a brighter note, there is some beutiful early motorcycle parts in there.
(21-02-2019, 10:06 AM)Tony Betts Wrote: Always BEWARE?

When getting excited on auctions.

not everything is what it seams.

THE NIPPY ENGINE HAS THE FRONT FOOT BROKEN OFF THE CRANKCASE.

This is why GOOD QUALITY original parts are so valuable, there is far to much broken scrap out there.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Tony.

PS; on a brighter note, there is some beutiful early motorcycle parts in there.
Good point Tony, I hadn't spotted that! Could it be repaired? If it could, I have also been looking at the Type 65 crankcase on Ebay with the repaired threads and hairline cracks on the nearside, probably caused by an aggressive camshaft and wondering if that one could be repaired too. I have heard that it is extremely difficult to weld Austin 7 crankcases without them cracking again. Is this true?
Lance, Paul Bonewell does an excellent repair on crankcases that are cracked on the valve chest side.
Hi lance,

Check the nippy engine on my website, tony.7ca@aol.co.uk

All crankcasses can be repaired.

But take it with a word of warning.

Some weld better than others.

Plenty of years ago, I took two nippy crankcasses in for welding. One was mine, and another for IAN deavey. When I collected them, although mine was a seemingly easy fix. A broken sump gause hole. The welder told me it was a crap crankcase to weld. The other was looking like a harder fix. the welder suggested it welded as if it was new aluminium.

You pay your money, and takes your chances.

This is why, when rear parts come up for sale with NOTHING needing to be done to them. THEY ARE NOT CHEAP.

Tony.
I've had a crank case repaired with no apparent further issues.