The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Austin Brexit
PLEASE don't use this to start a Brexit debate. The forum is not the place for that. I am simply posting it because it is a topical use of the Austin name - and the bit about breakdowns made me laugh.

.jpg   allegro.JPG (Size: 114.14 KB / Downloads: 558)
Ha, ha, excellent!
My major concern about Brexit is “ WILL IT BUGGER UP MY TWO AUSTIN SEVEN HOLIDAYS THIS YEAR
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Brexit.
What a slightly corpulent lady from Barnsley does to a plastic chair when she sits on it.
(20-02-2019, 01:39 PM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: My major concern about Brexit is “ WILL IT BUGGER UP MY TWO AUSTIN SEVEN HOLIDAYS THIS YEAR
No but you may need more documents:-

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2019/02/19/driving-abroad-after-brexit-things-are-changing/?fbclid=IwAR2j8uj3U0_Dfp3uAimYRSrnAPinu0hhX22VrgZ8XZKmHzcpIGpZkE8So0Q
many years ago I have learned a nice proverb that should actually be on a rear-bumper sticker: ALL PARTS FALLING OFF THIS CAR ARE OF FINEST BRITISH CRAFTSMANSHIP !!! that just about says it all. The fist part falling off my British car was the startermotor of my TR 2 half way a 350 km plus trip.... next were the splined hubs cum wire wheels but that might have been due to too much copper grease ... however after a full blown restoration nothing fell off anymore.... and the only thing that broke under the heavy right foot of its present owner was one of the specially made chrome molybdenum halfhafts.... nothing British about that.....
The only problem with British cars were they needed rebuilding before the first drive !
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
I am 74 years of age now and have been driving since I was 17. Throughout that time I have always owned and driven British cars mostly Vauxhall. Also for about the last 30 years my wife has owned and driven British cars. In all that time we have only once had to have any work done on warranty and other work done has only been wear and tear such as tyres and brakes and the odd exhaust replacement. I will say that Vauxhall did have a bad name for body's rusting away in the 60s (almost 60 years ago) but since that time there body's have been good.
So come on chaps give the good old British car a bit less criticism.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Everyone likes to knock British (and especially British Leyland) build quality, but I must say from my experience it was not that bad. In 1975 I purchased a three year old Triumph Dolomite which had already clocked up 50,000 miles (so it couldn't have been too problematic), and I added another 50,000 miles in the next four years without any problems. It was replaced by a company car in the form of a Morris Marina - not the most exciting car, but again absolutely trouble free; that was replaced by a German-built Ford Cortina which was an absolute disaster from the build quality point of view, such that I swore never to have another Ford. 

After British Leyand, then Italian-built cars get the stick, but again my experience says otherwise. The British press absolutely crucified the Lancia Dedra, but mine was brilliant in both build quality and driving experience, probably the best car I've ever had, whereas the VW Corrado that replaced it was a fine car trying to extract itself from disastrous build quality. Guess what? I've never had another German car either!
The DVLA blog is slightly more useful than the HMRC notices I get. As I import pewter direct from Italy I have had to register as an EORI and I may or may not have to pay VAT or import duty at an unspecified rate.
Any prices I offer to potential clients are valid until 29 March only. Trying to make a business plan for April is impossible.
Wish I still had my Beetle!