The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring
When did Austin stop using "armoured" cable ?
And when they were using it how were the cut off ends sealed...or not? They can be pretty sharp. There are very smart & sophisticated ways of doing it these days, but perhaps not appropriate! I used some discreet heat shrink when doing some on my car.
I use Hellermann sleeves.
Black Art Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure Austin stopped using armoured cable in late 1931, but I'll stand corrected on that if anyone knows better.

From memory, all the cars I have encountered with original wiring had the alloy armoured winding cut short revealing about ¼" of the black outer insulation.
I seem to remember that Wheatley and Morgan's vintage car restoration book said the method used was cotton thread wrapped round the ali cover and then varnished. Sounds a proper faff. I'm probably entirely wrong because it's about half a century since I read it.
Mike my early 65 is mid 33, it had armoured cabling fitted when I bought it, no doubt original, and shortly will have new armoured cabling fitted once again. I think it changed in 33/34.
I wonder if it changed when looms began to appear?
That sounds typical Wheatley & Morgan! I am always amused by some of their comparisons between the right & wrong ways of doing things eg "Make a gunmetal casting". - I wish!
Jim
(15-09-2017, 05:38 PM)NickB Wrote: Mike my early 65 is mid 33, it had armoured cabling fitted when I bought it, no doubt original, and shortly will have new armoured cabling fitted once again. I think it changed in 33/34.
I wonder if it changed when looms began to appear?

Was 'armoured' cable used until the introduction of the Ruby range in 1934 which employed the first 'proper' wiring loom?
I use shrink wrap on the ends of aluminium wrapped cable to prevent it fraying and to tidy it up.
Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire
Stuart
(14-09-2017, 08:42 PM)David.H Wrote: When did Austin stop using "armoured" cable ?
And when they were using it how were the cut off ends sealed...or not? They can be pretty sharp. There are very smart & sophisticated ways of doing it these days, but perhaps not appropriate! I used some discreet heat shrink when doing some on my car.

My RP Saloon built in September 1933 had armoured cable when I aquiered it in 1970. I rewired it with armored cable.
(15-09-2017, 05:37 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: I seem to remember that Wheatley and Morgan's vintage car restoration book said the method used was cotton thread wrapped round the ali cover and then varnished. Sounds a proper faff. I'm probably entirely wrong because it's about half a century since I read it.
From https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/catego...e-armoured

Electrical - Cable - Armoured Help

braiding must be unwound during wiring installation, temporarily bind the outside of the cable approx 100mm back, this will prevent undue loosening of braid. then wind back into place to cover outer and secure end, which was originally whipped with cotton then varnished, a modern alternative is to use 'heat shrink' sheathing.

You weren't wrong at all.