The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Thread Identification Please?
Having just completed the overhaul of my 4 speed (3 synchro) gearbox I find that the thread on the end of the 3rd motion shaft for the drive shaft flange is damaged, the nut is also damaged but I think the shaft thread will clean up with the correct die.
Can somebody please tell me what this thread is so that I can obtain the correct die, it looks to be 5/8" x 16 tpi which suggests it could be whitform but I would welcome confirmation of this. I'll also be looking for a replacement nut but I haven't found one listed on any of the usual suppliers parts lists, could anybody point me in the right direction??

Many thanks,   ..... Phil.
5/8 x 16 tpi, Sir Herbert's little ba***rd thread. Same as the crankshaft and half shaft.

Someone suggested that it was some redundant tooling Austin bought up, someone else claimed a connection with railways I seem to remember.

Tooling available from Tracy Tools in Devon.

Sorry, just to make it clear, I measured it and it is 5/8 x 16 tpi!
Hello Phil,

I just ducked out to the lock-up to check, forgive me if I mis-type as my fingers are now frozen!
Yes, it 5/8" x 16 tpi.
David Cochrane lists 5/8 x 16tpi taps and dies, I think it may be the same thread as a half-shaft nut.
A die is one option, or a thread chaser is sometimes handy for tidying up minor damage on larger threads.

I'm afraid I don't have a spare nut to hand or I'd post it to you.
But if you get stuck p.m. me, I might have a rusty old one in my used nuts and bolts bucket.

p.s. If I'd known Parazine was looking too I'd have stayed in the warm! But yes I also measured it.
Many thanks to you both for braving the elements in order to confirm the thread size, I hope the frostbite doesn't have any lasting consequences.
I'll probably give David Cochrane a ring to make sure the dies he has are correct for the job and if all else fails I could buy the tap as well and make a new nut, quite an expensive exercise though for something I may only do once.

Regards to both,   .... Phil.
Phil - give me a call next week and leave a message - I will ring you back. I'm out quite a bit next week so apologies in advance if it takes me a day or so before I do.
(09-02-2019, 10:42 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: Phil - give me a call next week and leave a message - I will ring you back. I'm out quite a bit next week so apologies in advance if it takes me a day or so before I do.

Many thanks David I'll give you a call as suggested.

..... Phil.