The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Between a Ferrari and an Austin 7

Most people wouldn't understand, but I lust after that Speedy, but the Mclaren does absolutely nothing for me - I would just as soon take a Ford Focus... and I hate Fords!
I understand Mike.
I understand, too, Mike.... if you're driving the McLaren, you're trying too hard
So do I. However, this modern stuff is very different to mid 1960's versions which is where we started.

Steve
One thing I have noticed over the years is the owners of the exotica, and that's modern exotica like your McLaren or vintage exotica like your Blower Bentleys or Bugatti this and that, are in it more for the bragging rights.
It takes all sorts. I’ve worked all my life at the high end of the car industry. I know most cars like these are sold to the undeserving rich, but now and again you meet someone who really understands what they have. It makes it all worthwhile.
Alan Fairless
Not all high end cars are the same, are they? Wink
My Citroen SM is a delight to drive and covers the ground superbly. However it is like no other car to drive. The steering is very high geared with power self centering which gets stronger with speed. Goes dead straight hands off at any speed and won't deviate even with a puncture or hitting an object. Takes at least a couple of 100 miles to get used to and to change gear without zig-zagging. Once mastered it is like nothing else on the road. Top speed 140 and the faster it goes the better it gets.
My 1929 fabric saloon is just as enjoyable but totally different, except for the direct steering.
Jim
(01-02-2019, 11:47 PM)AustinWood Wrote: My Citroen SM is a delight to drive and covers the ground superbly. However it is like no other car to drive. The steering is very high geared with power self centering which gets stronger with speed. Goes dead straight hands off at any speed and won't deviate even with a puncture or hitting an object. Takes at least a couple of 100 miles to get used to and to change gear without zig-zagging. Once mastered it is like nothing else on the road. Top speed 140 and the faster it goes the better it gets.
My 1929 fabric saloon is just as enjoyable but totally different, except for the direct steering.

I know a fellow with 5 rare Ferraris including one that was a spare car at Le Mans one year.  I took our A7 Club members there one day and although they were impressed they all said they preferred their Sevens.  The Le Mans car was so low I showed how I could just get my shoe under the front spoiler.  In fact two of the five had to be loaded on a transport (long lorry) if he wanted to take them out for a drive!  They were so low they wouldn't clear the traffic humps in his secluded street - not my idea of having a car one can enjoy.  Sevens or Seven specials for me, thanks.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz