The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Between a Ferrari and an Austin 7
A PART  ARTICLE IN THE JANUARY 2019 AUTOMOBILE BY DAVID BURGESS-WISE

We've seen some pretty stratospheric prices for collectible cars recently, which seem to emphasise my thought that it's not just cynics, as Oscar Wilde famously characterised them, who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. The sale in August of a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO, admittedly with a distinguished racing career, for more than $48.4m - that's around £37 million for a car of limited usability - makes me ask what seems an obvious question, 'Which would you rather have: a Ferrari 250 GTO or, for the same money, a Lutyens house and a 300-car garage full to the brim with top-notch pre-1940 cars?" Or, indeed, a Lutyens house, half-a-dozen top-notch pre-1940 cars and many millions left over to do with as you wished? I certainly know what I would rather have, given that unlikely opportunity and it wouldn't be a raucous, barely street-legal '60s sports- racer. I know who would have most fun with his car on a regular basis, too, if it came to a choice between the Ferrari and an Austin Chummy...
No contest...
Well I've never been in a 250 GTO but I have been in a 275 GTB from the same era and I've had lots and lots of fun in Sevens. All I'll say is don't knock it until you've tried it!!

Steve
The trouble with fast cars is where the hell are you going to drive them? That place probably only exists in your imagination.

I was loaned a 330hp V6 for the weekend a while ago and couldn't wait to give it back on the Monday, it barely got above idle at legal speeds & was boring as hell to drive long distance. Plus utterly impractical in nearly every respect (even basics like being able to see out of the windows). It was fun for about 3 seconds when I overtook something then I had to slam on the brakes when I realised what speed I was doing. Give me an A7 any day.
I’ve had lots of fun in Sevens but.........
Alan Fairless
As ever, Alan, I think we're on the same wavelength! If you need to ask the question, you won't understand the answer.

Steve
Heart 
We have had lots of "fun" in our Ruby, just ask my girl friend now my wife Heart S&P
If I had enough money to buy the Ferrari and not miss it, as I expect the person who bought it has, I'd buy the Ferrari. You can only drive one at a time anyway.
I'm reminded of a story told to me by a very good A7 friend, sadly no longer with us. He was involved with taking three Ferraris from South Yorkshire to Donington for a Ferrari Owners Club day. The 'prize' for all the FOC members taking their cars was to be driven round Donington, in their own Ferrari, by John Surtees. Our man won! After a lap to find the way, the Ferrari shot over the start/finish line and went barrelling down to Redgates. As the corner approached, the car didn't slow at all and our man, genuinely, thought that the brakes must have failed, that he was going to die and that his car had killed John Surtees. At what seemed long past the last moment, he experienced hard, sharp, braking, the car flicked right, hit the Redgate apex perfectly and carried on into the Craner Curves where it happened all over again.

It's a different world...!

Steve
Should I ever have sufficient funds to buy a £48 million car - I would choose to spend it buying as many Austin Sevens as I could, then giving them away to people I liked - one car, one smile...