The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern lip seals
Thank you all. Much appreciated.
Heavy axles have a different sized seals - two sizes if I remember correctly - to a standard sized axle.
I don't want to sound dim, but I've never used Molyslip and one look at their website shows blinking 'undreds of different products? Which one am I after?
Peter, if it helps, I simply use grease and have done for many years. It works perfectly in this application, so far.
(31-01-2019, 12:27 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Peter, if it helps, I simply use grease and have done for many years.  It works perfectly in this application, so far.

Cool Ta Ruairidh.
(31-01-2019, 11:57 AM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote:
(30-01-2019, 03:14 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: There are two types available.

One dispenses with the cup, washer and circlip - it it glued in place.

The other simply presses inside the cup, in place of the felt seal.

Can't remember which of the sizes I used but in my "heavy" axle, July 1937 onwards, there was what appeared to be a ring pressed into the casting and the seal pressed into that.

A TIP....one of our Scimitar club knowledgable engineering developers tips that when fitting get a rag soaked with Molyslip and rub well into the lip area.  This goes for any seal in any position (even seals round disk break pistons).

Dennis

Careful please Dennis, as Biddlecombe points out, there are numerous 'Molyslip' products.
Possibly your chap was referring to Molyslip rubber grease? Which at least may do no harm.
Modern brake caliper piston seals are generally made of EPDM rubber, which will fail prematurely if exposed to products containing mineral oil.
(31-01-2019, 03:21 PM)Chris KC Wrote:

Can't remember which of the sizes I used but in my "heavy" axle, July 1937 onwards, there was what appeared to be a ring pressed into the casting and the seal pressed into that.

A TIP....one of our Scimitar club knowledgable engineering developers tips that when fitting get a rag soaked with Molyslip and rub well into the lip area.  This goes for any seal in any position (even seals round disk break pistons).

Dennis

Careful please Dennis, as Biddlecombe points out, there are numerous 'Molyslip' products.
Possibly your chap was referring to Molyslip rubber grease? Which at least may do no harm.
Modern brake caliper piston seals are generally made of EPDM rubber, which will fail prematurely if exposed to products containing mineral oil.

OK Chris.  A case here of using info from quite a while ago and using "familiar" shortened terminology.
I will open a new subject entitled MOLY - molybdenum disulphide and attach the notes I have. These may help to give a clearer picture.
Sadly Alan passed away  a few years ago.

Dennis
(31-01-2019, 06:55 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote:
(31-01-2019, 03:21 PM)Chris KC Wrote:

Dennis

OK Chris.  A case here of using info from quite a while ago and using "familiar" shortened terminology.
I will open a new subject entitled MOLY - molybdenum disulphide and attach the notes I have. These may help to give a clearer picture.
Sadly Alan passed away  a few years ago.

Dennis

When fitting lip seals in the wheel hubs, do you retain the felt plate?
I do - they are a spacer as well as protecting the felt.
(02-02-2019, 02:04 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I do - they are a spacer as well as protecting the felt.

Thanks Ruairidh