The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grease gun?
I still have the original grease nipples on my car, will a modern clip on gun work on them or is it best to get an original Enots push on one?

I see they are quite common on Ebay for about the same price as a cheap modern gun although inevitably you take a gamble on what condition they are in.

I've used my Dad's up to now, but planning to bring the car over to France for Montlhéry so need my own kit!
A gun with a clip on end does not work properly with the original Enots type nipple as a good seal is required to force the grease home.  On my car there were a mixture of nipple types, so I was originally juggling guns whenever I went under the car.  Now I have changed them all to the later clip on type, and replaced those that were worn to ensure a good seal - as you know, it is imprtant that the grease gets to where it is needed.

Not sure what others think?  I was initially reluctant to remove the old Enots type - I suppose I could have replaced them all with original Enots nipples if I could have found them?  Enots guns seem readily available.  Often the gun nozzles can be swapped.

Colin
No good asking me, I invariably end up with more grease on the floor than in the joint!
(28-01-2019, 01:20 PM)Chris KC Wrote: No good asking me, I invariably end up with more grease on the floor than in the joint!

The times in the past that I've tried greasing them nipples of any of my previous cars the same happened to me, much to the amusement of my capable friends ....
But as I'm willing to have another try  (and will need to in view of the greasing intervals on my Rosengart...) I'm contemplating the purchase of this set.... https://www.hbm-machines.com/producten/a...gJJsvD_BwE

at € 12,= one can hardly go wrong can I??

they'll also send to the UK
I have changed all mine to the later type but beware, as some of them don't work. The sealing ball can be stuck and prevent the flow of grease. You do get plenty of pressure with a "clip-on" grease gun, so much that it blows the plugs off my semi girling king pins...
I've changed my choice for grease gun to this one ( https://www.hmk.nl/garage-gereedschappen...it-85gram/ )
primarily because the other shop could not supply the right small size grease tubes.. with these pistol grip grease guns one does not need both hands to apply it and one has the other hand free to keep the nozzle on the. nipple as that's where things tend to go pear shaped with the usual sheer type grease guns.
I seem to recall many years ago being advised to put something like a  piece of ladies nylon stocking on the nipple before engaging the grease gun. The theory being to produce a seal . Has anyone heard of this and was it successful . I could never get the wife's tights off her to try it out.
In another vintage car world, a good friend of mine researched grease nipples quite thoroughly. It's a slightly more complicated world than people might imagine. He contacted Kingfisher Lubrication Ltd of Leeds who, as a result, now supply a mixed set of straight, 45 and 90 degree hydraulic grease nipples at 5/16" and 1/4" bsf. As well as the nipples, the kit also provides the correct grease gun coupler that will screw on a modern grease gun. For those of you who are less bothered about complete originality, I can highly recommend this set (designated for 'MG Classic Cars') as they work perfectly with no loss of grease round the nipple and total confidence in getting the grease where it's supposed to go..

examples here:

http://www.kingfisherlubrication.co.uk/c...ype=40&p=2

I have no connection (pun intended) other than a satisfied customer...
Up here in the North, nylon stockings were rare when I was a lad. Perhaps that is why i have used almost any sort of thin cloth as a seal with the Austin grease gun. It requires a little more effort to force the grease through the weave if you use flanellette but, unless your nipples have suffered major abuse, something like polycotton works well.

Regards,
Stuart
Reminds of the old joke about the emergency overnight stayer (male) for whom the only available bed was with the attractive daughter. The agreed rule was that they keep the sheet between.
Nevertheless a baby arrived. It  was uncommonly pale. When others commented the response was “You would be pale too if strained through a sheet?”

(All grease nipples tend to leak when damaged but the soft brass originals are especially prone. But they do look good on a restored car. The needlepoint grease gun often got around the problem with later nipples, but the hole in brass nipples is usually too small. I dunno if needle fittings are still available or legal . Grease injection into fingers etc was a real and very serious danger and common when all cars were regularly greased.)