The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote gear change
Far less work than mine, and probably lighter!
Robert Leigh
Tony Betts I sent you a PM
Ian Tillman at Oxfordshire Sevens is going to make and fit a remote gear change for me next month.
I wouldn’t bank on it, Ian is very busy, I have been waiting nearly 2 years for parts from him.
I have written about it before somewhere, but indulging in nostalgia and at the risk of repetition, I put it that the late Holly Birkett's 4-speed remote change was hard to beat for lightness, simplicity, etc.
From a cut-down standard lever, with flats filed and a hole drilled at right-angles to the transmission line, a clevis attached a tube of 5/8" diameter or thereabouts which ran rearward and into a hole drilled in the wooden bulkhead behind the seats. About 3 inches protruded to the rear of the bulkhead, a late improvement incorporated a grommet into the bulkhead.
An upstanding lever was clamped to this tube, in such a position that fitted neatly to the driver's left hand. Operation was as normal, with lift for reverse.
Wow Roger... that is simplicity itself... and adjustable. 
I  have a beautifully made facsimile of the original Dante/Camridge/Speedex extension for a 4 speed box... probably now surplus to requirements...
So the grommet is just holding the moving bar which is parallel to the transmission tunnel?
Presumably the length of the stub lever determines the quickness of the change. What would be the minimum possible?
How short you cut the original lever governs the distance you have to move, but if it's too short it's hard to move. Somewhere there's a balance between ease and distance. ??
exactly! - I just wondered if anyone had actually gone through that practical process of defining how short it can realistically be! It wasn't until you posted that post, Roger, that the extreme simplicity of it became evident. But I must admit when I look at them in situ, they have a way of making the cabin feel very cramped.. hence the thought of trying to get the thing lower..
Thanks Robert and Tony. Both have given me some ideas! Just need to source a spare 4 speed lever in case I mess things up!