The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Slippery Anne update
Hi Mark

You should investigate the Sprint and two Hillclimbs
that take place on the Isle of Man, Steve Jones and my pal Colin( new owner of the Moose)
Both regularly take their cars over. Anything entered can drive on the public roads for a few days!!!
Lots of Austins take part.

Regards
Bill G

Ps I will try for a PPI payout and if lucky might
speak to you about your spares!!
Based near the Scottish Border,
Going to iom to watch the event in at end of month just building 7 based car for next year yes if you enter the event your can drive around island you  can be competitive  or just do for fun , there is a website with videos to watch, there are a lot of classic and vintage cars to look at as well watching the flame spitting veterans is very entertaining if you ever get there you will enjoy!
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
HI Mark,
The Exhaust is looking really good,
It just got me thinking seeing the perforated pipe, using a larger size and splitting length wise they make a good exhaust cover clamped on the pipe with about 20mm gap all round last better than wrap.
Looking forward to seeing finished Car

Cheers Colin
NZ
I have almost finished the last big body fairing for Slippery, the processes for making it may be of interest:

First order of business is to scale a drawing from the period photo record, followed by various mockup stages to workout the correct profiles of its outer mould line. I usually position cardboard and paper mockups against the car and live with them for period of days, it is strange how the most jaring of errors in shape only apear after a break away from the workshop!

A wooden buck is used to from help get the metal forming right, firstly this is worked up in card.

Paper is then taped around the cardboard buck to create a 3 dimensional representation of the fairing and give confidence in the shape.

Fitted to the car, the paper fairing is left for a while, if all still looks good after a few days, I finalise the wooden buck.

First the metal is formed to fit closely to the buck, The metal is not bashed to shape on the buck, for which I use a leather shot bag and wood block, but I do make the buck strong enough so that the metal may be 'encouraged' with a few deft blows of a suitable hammer/mallet.

Once the panel starts to look close to the correct shape, I start to refine the finish with my wheeling machine, in this instance I am making the fairing in two parts and welding the shells together.

Once the two parts are a very close fit to the buck and the joint is very closely matched, it is ready for welding

Once welded, the fairing is redy for cleanup of the joint to remove excesses weld, then the final shape is worked into the metal and the joint is wheeled to harden it and finish the whole of the fairings finish.

Welding thin aluminium so that it is possible to make the joint both strong and workable while ensuring a good finish requires some thought, the joint you see here was fist welded on the outside using a rod, which does add material, then the joint was welded again on the inside without a rod, which pulled the first weld in, it required no cleanup on the inside face, but did need working over with my angle grinder and a file on the raised joint of the outter face. It is possible to not use a rod, and make a very clean joint but, this approach requires a perfect joint with no gaps and that the joint be welded 3 times to make it strong enough, holes are always blown into the metal which then need punched bits of aluminium to be knocked into them with a hammer, then welded in etc etc.

Wheeling the fairing

Before bending the attachment flanges the new fairing is offered up to the car, albeit, the exces metal required for the flange make the whole thing sit 3/4" to far out, it enables a considered assessment of its fit and shape.

It is just possible to see the welded joint in these pictures. as it is slightly darker, but it is otherwise undetectable.

All the best, Mark.
Stunning work, Mark. Like I said to you yesterday, I'm more than looking forward to seeing the car up and running. I know that in that, I'm not alone.

Steve
Wot he sed ^

Skills like that are beyond my wildest imaginings - it makes any attempts I have made look like trainee amateur efforts!
Well done Mark, looking fantastic, the front 3/4 picture above really shows off the purposeful stance of the car

I'm curious as to what you started with - how did you find Slippery Anne or the remains thereof - we like stories

Any as-found pictures ??? We like pictures too ;-)

Aye
Greig
It would be interesting to know when wheeling machines made their debut. I guess whoever made Joan of Arcs armour managed some contouring.
With the heavy working, do you anneal at intermediate stages? (Some claim existing bodies are difficult to work because of hardening with time and use).
I may be mistaken but I believe wheeling machines first came into common use sometime during or just after WWI.
Compound curves were making their debut on aeroplane and car forms at this time and became more common as the 1920s progressed.
The “clamp-and-squeeze together” shrinking tool was developed by mijnheer Fokker a Dutch engineer in the late 20’s I believe.
I’m on holiday at present and can’t be bothered to look it all up again so don’t quote me!
I believe they have been around since before WW1 however don't forget they were only commonly used in the UK hence the American term English wheel. Don't be fooled into thinking you need a wheeling machine to produce compound curved panels, they do however great speed up planishing and make is easier to stretch evenly when producing large low crown panels. As Mark already indicated everything on his car could be produced with nothing more than a couple of hammers, dolly's and a sand bag, it would just take longer. Metal shaping is actually not that hard to do once you understand the basic principles of shrinking and stretching the material, both of which can be done with hand tools, even so many consider it a black art, I tried to explained some of these skills in the threads about rebuilding my special. Here in Auckland we run a fortnightly Body building workshop where we pass on these techniques, anyone is welcome to come along for a contribution of just $10 a session to cover costs.
Black Art Enthusiast