The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Kid on the Block
Got it Hedd. Big Grin
Thank you everybody for your words of welcome.

Thank you hedd for the early photo of TH 4219. I recall that. when I bought it, it was on late Ruby 17 inch wheels, presumably because 4.50 x 17s were fitted to cars like Ford Pops and the like. As a result, they were in cheap and plentiful supply both new, as remoulds or from your local scrapyard. It must have been repainted before your photo was taken. When my boss and I repainted it, it was coach painted and didn't have the coachline on it (I never got around to it.) Looking back, I was horrid to that little car when I was 18/19. I am glad it has survived. I treat the present one with kid gloves.
Hi David, just a quick note to say we saw you on sunday right near the north end of Bala lake - you must have been heading down from Llangynog ~3pm. You were very recognisable and made us smile, but you probably didn't notice the red Porsche heading towards you!

Ray
Cambridge was a hotbed of Austin Sevens in the 60s. I spent many happy hours drinking tea with Ray Walker in his workshop in Perowne Street.
Jim
It's still a bit of a hot bed now, purely as a result of the enthusiasm of the much missed Ray Walker and his never ending supply of tea....
Ray was a huge help in my early days of Sevening. After I moved to Weston-Super-Mare I used to catch up with him every year at Beaulieu. As you say Hugh, much missed.
Jim
Ray Walker!  Memories of the cracked tortoise stove, the upstairs floor groaning under the weight of spares, great stacks of aluminium heads. jumble of cars and bits. A lovely man with a wealth of stories. Yes, much missed.
For those of you who don't know of Ray Walker, he ran a garage in Cambridge for many years (I think he opened it in 1948?) and focussed on his beloved Austin 7 for many years. Many of us in Cambridge owe our Austin 7 ownership to Ray. I attach a photo supplied by his son, Gerald (who also sadly died last year) that shows the yard in 'the Garage' as it was always simply referred to, taken i the 1960s...

.jpg   64309469_10158545540629951_3710653329139826688_o.jpg (Size: 89.96 KB / Downloads: 229)
Mary Walker, Ray's widow, now has YB 7720. I suspect that the Ruby at the back is AEW952 which I eventually bought for spares. That registration is now on my Ulsteroid by a rather devious route.
(29-09-2020, 08:52 AM)fatcatvera Wrote: Hi David, just a quick note to say we saw you on sunday right near the north end of Bala lake - you must have been heading down from Llangynog ~3pm. You were very recognisable and made us smile, but you probably didn't notice the red Porsche heading towards you!

Ray

Thank you Ray. I was coming back from Llandderfel having been for a small lunchtime drink. Yes, I saw the Porsche, but I was too late to acknowledge the wave!