The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seized Cross Shaft another look at that old chestnut
Hello fellow Austineers,
I used to follow the old forum and signed up for this new one at the time of the changeover but for various reasons everything Austin 7 has been on hold for a few years although I have been collecting various parts towards the rebuild.
I am about to unwrap my 1933 chassis with a view to to refurbishing and I know the first job will be to un-seize the brakes cross shaft.
So can I ask what is the best procedure / order of events to do this - will it be a case of a lot of heat WD40/oil  and brute force or is there a better or preferred way of doing this? Undecided
I realize this is old hat but would appreciate a little wisdom.

Thanks,
Steve V.
Polegate
Submerge it in some of Bilt Hamber's Deox C as I've been doing with a bonnet with seized hinges, each hinge takes about two days before the pins can be removed.
Hi Dave,
I was hoping to free it off while still attached to the chassis but perhaps that was a foolish and lazy/unrealistic idea?
The stuff you suggest does look good.

Regards
Steve V.
I assume you know that the centre is fixed with a pin and weld?. The old chestnut is that they are supposed to be stuck to each other.
Hi Hedd,
I didn't know about the weld!
Can I assume(!) that if the various lever clamp/cotter pins are released that is possible to drift out the cross shaft or have I got that wrong?

thanks
Steve V.
This has been extensively covered, esp on the old site with deatailed photos. Hopefully someone can supply links.
The concentric tubes are only to allow for equal twist left and right from the central application. The movement between tubes at rh end under load is very small. Test with tyre lever or somesuch. Not the end of world if stuck; very many probably are.