The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which are the best Austin 7 Ruby Tyres 400/425 x 17
Question 
My Ruby needs a new set of tyres, I've currently got a set of Armstrong tyres which are getting near to the minimum thread depth 2 to 3mm. and they've been on for approx 10 years so another good reason to replace tham

So which are the best make of tyres to fit and where do I get the best deal? 

I have found Longstone, Waymaster & Excelsior and all have completely different tread patterns, so for general road use which way should I go? Undecided

Dave, in soggy cumbria
(12-09-2017, 06:11 PM)DaveT Wrote: My Ruby needs a new set of tyres, I've currently got a set of Armstrong tyres which are getting near to the minimum thread depth 2 to 3mm. and they've been on for approx 10 years so another good reason to replace tham

So which are the best make of tyres to fit and where do I get the best deal? 

I have found Longstone, Waymaster & Excelsior and all have completely different tread patterns, so for general road use which way should I go? Undecided

Dave, in soggy cumbria

Longstone. Authentic tread pattern and designed for the job. 

Steve
I agree
DaveT, would you be interested in selling your ten year old tyres? My Ruby restoration is progressing and with the body back on the chassis the car is back on it's wheels. It would be good to have a set of tyres to move the car around the garage and maybe the occasional test drive. The tyres I have are bald, through to the canvas, and were probably new in the fifies.
I put a set of Waymasters on my special (4-50 /17). They were cheaper and much lighter than the Avons I had before but  developed flat spots whilst the car was standing for a year. They are also comically noisy. I'm hoping if I leave it on axle stands for the winter and over inflate them they may recover. I know, I should have done that in the first place!

I've put Longstones on the Ruby recently. Anyone know how many miles I should get out of them?

Peter.
It's a good job that we are all different, I have Excelsior tyres fitted to two of my cars and find them fit for purpose. 400/17
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
We are all different, personally I found the 17" Excelsior's gave appalling grip in the wet.
Black Art Enthusiast
I didn`t know it rained in Zoo Nealand Angel
(13-09-2017, 09:23 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: We are all different, personally I found the 17" Excelsior's gave appalling grip in the wet.

Never had any Excelsiors but I did have Waymasters on my Lea Francis. Appalling in the wet (with not much more grip in the dry) and, as said above, comically noisy. They even squealed loudly turning round in a car park.

Steve
Thumbs Up 
Well I had another look at the tyres on the Ruby and made an executive decision (made without asking the misses) and placed an order with Longstone tyres for 5 tyres plus tubes and rim tapes.

So now I'll find out how hard it is to get 14 year old tyres off my wheels. I worked out that is was 14 years as my company paid for the 5 wheels to be shot blasted and powder coated as a 25 year long service award back in 2003, no way was I having a TV or Carriage Clock, how time flies.

It will also be interesting to see how the Ruby handles with the new tyres, I'll let you know. Big Grin

Dave in sunny Cumbria