The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass handle removal?
Hi all,

I'm in the process of dismantling my 1935 Ruby for a bit of maintenance. I'm struggling to get the front/nose cone off. Can the brass starting handle be removed? I've taken the cotter pin out, is it then a simple case of hitting it with a hammer? Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Darren
Before you start hitting it I'd put the car in gear and then engage the starting handle and turn it. Worked for me.
(16-01-2019, 07:36 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote: Before you start hitting it I'd put the car in gear and then engage the starting handle and turn it. Worked for me.

Thanks Colin. I will give that a go. I've noticed it does start to move with a little bit of persuasion but I'm not a fan of force, it generally ends in tears. ??
(16-01-2019, 07:25 PM)Darren D Wrote: Hi all,

I'm in the process of dismantling my 1935 Ruby for a bit of maintenance. I'm struggling to get the front/nose cone off. Can the brass starting handle be removed? I've taken the cotter pin out, is it then a simple case of hitting it with a hammer? Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Darren
That cotter can become stubborn, suggest a bit of penetrating oil, wait for 10, put the nut back on to protect the thread then a few light taps with a soft-face hammer.  
Steve & Tate Davidson
Perpetual Amateur Austineers
Once the pin is out, it is just rust and gunge that holds the handle to the shaft. Usual stuff, WD40, gentle heat. If you can get a piece of wood behind the handle and in front of the nose, a few taps with a hammer IF Colin's idea doesn't work, BUT BE CAREFUL, the aluminium casting is quite weak and easily damaged
(16-01-2019, 07:52 PM)bob46320 Wrote: Once the pin is out,  it is just rust and gunge that holds the handle to the shaft.  Usual stuff, WD40, gentle heat.  If you can get a piece of wood behind the handle and in front of the nose, a few taps with a hammer IF Colin's idea doesn't work,  BUT BE CAREFUL,  the aluminium casting is quite weak and easily damaged

Thanks Bob. I have no idea when the handle was last off. I'll try heat and then the rubber mallet. Again thanks for the advice.
Before hitting or heating anything, I'd give Colin's suggestion a serious try. Pull the brakes on and/or chock the wheels as well. The ease with which it is easy to break the nose piece is often seriously under estimated!!

Steve
(16-01-2019, 08:32 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Before hitting or heating anything, I'd give Colin's suggestion a serious try. Pull the brakes on and/or chock the wheels as well. The ease with which it is easy to break the nose piece is often seriously under estimated!!

Steve

Thanks Steve. She's sitting on axle stands at the moment. But I will certainly do my best to avoid blunt force. ??
Colins suggestion has been standard practice for me. Was standard practice for father too.
Hi guys,

Just an update. The handle is off at last. In the end I used heat and a ball joint separator, it took some time but it meant minimal damage to the handle assembly. Many thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

Darren