The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regulator screws
(14-01-2019, 11:20 AM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: I could imagine that a left handed screw extractor (which, I should make my position clear, are the work of the devil) would tend to expand a brass grub screw and push out the sides of the terminal. I don't think I would be tempted to try that route...

You're right Hugh - any tool more misnamed than an "Eaziout" would be impossible to find!

Better off to progressively drill out the screw - preferably off the car and in a drill stand - until it frees itself.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
(14-01-2019, 11:27 AM)Rick F Wrote:
(14-01-2019, 11:20 AM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: I could imagine that a left handed screw extractor (which, I should make my position clear, are the work of the devil) would tend to expand a brass grub screw and push out the sides of the terminal. I don't think I would be tempted to try that route...

You're right Hugh - any tool more misnamed than an "Eaziout" would be impossible to find!

Better off to progressively drill out the screw - preferably off the car and in a drill stand - until it frees itself.
I will try a little local heat and if that fails pursue the drill route (which, of course, means there is no drive to unscrew it with....) Hours of harmless fun! Now I know why all the "accessories" (trafficators etc were wired into the back of the dash panel in a big bundle into one terminal) The P.O. couldn't undo it either!
They do make left handed drills, could be interesting and assist the screw to come out. The other way is to expand the brass terminal - perhaps using a pair of screwdrivers, one on each side of the terminal. Just be careful of the bakelite !
Always bemused by comments about Eaziouts. I suppose there is somewhere out there some self taught deep thinking soul who actually foresaw disaster before experiencing it.

For the sake of newcomers the devices are intended to facilitate removal of studs and bolts which are more or less free but have been broken short by excess tension,  not twisted off due being bottomed or rusted up.

Can often wedge a file tang into a drilled hole. Nothing hardened to present a challenge.
(14-01-2019, 03:02 PM)David.H Wrote:
(14-01-2019, 11:27 AM)Rick F Wrote:

I will try a little local heat and if that fails pursue the drill route (which, of course, means there is no drive to unscrew it with....) Hours of harmless fun! Now I know why all the "accessories" (trafficators etc were wired into the back of the dash panel in a big bundle into one terminal) The P.O. couldn't undo it either!
GOT IT OUT!
It was the heat wot done it. I used a gas powered lighter wand thingy.
No damage to the component nor to me
D
(14-01-2019, 06:18 AM)Tiger Wrote: Trying to find a source for these.
Nuts & Bolts For Model Engineers:-

https://www.ba-bolts.co.uk/index.html

BA grub screws:-

https://www.ba-bolts.co.uk/bagrubs.html