The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bicester Heritage Scramble
Great day out at Bicester yesterday. Lots of interesting machinery and quite a number of 7s in evidence.

Selection of photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmtKdeam

.jpg   bice.JPG (Size: 50.12 KB / Downloads: 439)
A lovely set of pics. I wish I'd been there, a bit far away unfortunately.
Even further away for me but Bicester is on my list of places to visit next time I am in the UK. Great pics, thanks!

An interesting mix of cars. The Riley Brooklands I have a replica chassis from was there by the looks of it. Still with the unpainted aluminium bonnet my friend Joss made for it.

What is the little yellow screen that is on the bonnet of the green Beetle for? The vintage mobile cinema truck looks interesting too.

Simon
(07-01-2019, 08:22 PM)jansens Wrote: Even further away for me but Bicester is on my list of places to visit next time I am in the UK. Great pics, thanks!

An interesting mix of cars. The Riley Brooklands I have a replica chassis from was there by the looks of it. Still with the unpainted aluminium bonnet my friend Joss made for it.

What is the little yellow screen that is on the bonnet of the green Beetle for? The vintage mobile cinema truck looks interesting too.

Simon

Device for deflecting insects from the windscreen. Quite common in the '50s and usually fitted to the radiator top. Not sure how effective they were!
Known as a "Bug Deflector".....very appropriate!
What a selection of cars, I bet the car park was interesting too.
Ah, thanks! I've never seen those bug deflectors before.
Had not seen them on VW's before but were a common sight as bonnet ornaments in the fifties. Remember the chrome swan mascots with the coloured perspex raised wings. It was said these were "bug deflectors" .  H N Y to you guys in NZ  Russell  [Image: AMBER%20&%20GREEN%20SWAN%20005%20RS.jpg]
(07-01-2019, 08:22 PM)jansens Wrote: Even further away for me but Bicester is on my list of places to visit next time I am in the UK.

Simon

I'm not sure I'd mention that at the immigration desk Simon. Bit like saying you've come for a weekend sightseeing in Salisbury...
(08-01-2019, 07:58 AM)Chris KC Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 08:22 PM)jansens Wrote: Even further away for me but Bicester is on my list of places to visit next time I am in the UK.

Simon

I'm not sure I'd mention that at the immigration desk Simon. Bit like saying you've come for a weekend sightseeing in Salisbury...

Is OK Chris, I have a British passport so I don't have to go in through the 'dirty foreigners' queue at the airport!

(08-01-2019, 05:11 AM)squeak Wrote: Had not seen them on VW's before but were a common sight as bonnet ornaments in the fifties. Remember the chrome swan mascots with the coloured perspex raised wings. It was said these were "bug deflectors" .  H N Y to you guys in NZ  Russell  

Hi Russell, I've never see those either. Next time I go to the car museum near here I'll look out for such things now I know what they are.

Am making the most of the long summers days here. Been out in the garage late most night this week so far!
Bug deflectors were quite common in the 1960s especially in rallying circles; they didn't just deflect bugs, they kept a lot of general dirt off the screen in the days when screen washers were not very effective. Excuse the non-Austin content:

.jpg   1960 Monte 283 1.jpg (Size: 103.68 KB / Downloads: 84)