The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamator or overhaul existing dynamo?
A similar request which is perhaps relevant in terms of how to test a dynamo?

I have recently had bother with cut outs on my grey saloon. Now there is no charge at all.

The cut out is actually a later Ruby type, as actually is the dynamo.

Electricery is not my forte. How does one test if the dynamo is ok or not?

I have a Mk1 nose which suggests its not cooked, and can borrow a multimeter, even if I do not know how to drive it.
(07-01-2019, 12:16 PM)Mark R Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 07:54 PM)Darren D Wrote: Hi all,

I am about to do a bit of mechanical restoration on my 1935 Mk 1 Ruby, suspension, brakes and minor engine overhaul. She also needs a re-wire as the existing 6 volt wiring is a mess and probably unsafe. 

My question is do I send the existing dynamo off for overhaul or install one of the more modern 6 volt  dynamators from Accuspark? 

I am more than happy to keep her on the 6 volt system as it's part of her character. I am just looking at improving the overall reliability of the electrics. Any advice would be great fully received. 

Cheers,

Darren

I'm not sure if you've already done so but I'd be tempted to test the dynamo first, you might find it's working fine anyway? I'd go with other poster's thoughts regarding LED bulbs, if you so wished it would allow thinner wires to be used to headlamps etc.

Just a few more thoughts from “the other poster” —  one advantage of LEDs is running with all lights on during the daytime, like the bikers and essential if you are intending an overseas trip where this is the common practice. With motorists today seeming ever more impatient it strikes me that anything that makes you easier to see is a good thing.
Re wiring ( LED) it’s worth mentioning again that providing efficient earthing to lamps etc is vital as so little current is being pushed through.

Charles
Hedd - the first test for a dynamo is to see whether it 'motors'. Google will throw up plenty of descriptions that do more justice than my description, but you will find one here, for instance...

http://www.themagnetoguys.co.uk/dynamo-motor-test

hth...
(07-01-2019, 01:20 PM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 12:16 PM)Mark R Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 07:54 PM)Darren D Wrote: Hi all,

I am about to do a bit of mechanical restoration on my 1935 Mk 1 Ruby, suspension, brakes and minor engine overhaul. She also needs a re-wire as the existing 6 volt wiring is a mess and probably unsafe. 

My question is do I send the existing dynamo off for overhaul or install one of the more modern 6 volt  dynamators from Accuspark? 

I am more than happy to keep her on the 6 volt system as it's part of her character. I am just looking at improving the overall reliability of the electrics. Any advice would be great fully received. 

Cheers,

Darren

I'm not sure if you've already done so but I'd be tempted to test the dynamo first, you might find it's working fine anyway? I'd go with other poster's thoughts regarding LED bulbs, if you so wished it would allow thinner wires to be used to headlamps etc.

Just a few more thoughts from “the other poster” —  one advantage of LEDs is running with all lights on during the daytime, like the bikers and essential if you are intending an overseas trip where this is the common practice. With motorists today seeming ever more impatient it strikes me that anything that makes you easier to see is a good thing.
Re wiring ( LED) it’s worth mentioning again that providing efficient earthing to lamps etc is vital as so little current is being pushed through.

Charles

A completely valid point of view Charles, it merely differs from my own! I have managed lots of daytime running both at home and abroad without yet being killed (though I share your fears; to be honest I think this may happen lights or no lights). In Scandinavia where daytime lights are compulsory I got by, running on sidelights when I thought anyone might be looking. If I had my way I'd ban LEDs from modern vehicles too...

I guess what I'm trying to say is anyone can do what they want with their own car, I'd just personally rather anything obviously non-original was done for an actual reason related to the intended use of the car rather than because other people have done it.
(06-01-2019, 07:54 PM)Darren D Wrote: My question is do I send the existing dynamo off for overhaul or install one of the more modern 6 volt  dynamators from Accuspark? 

Both a properly restored dynamo and the Dynamator work perfectly well in my experience Darren, so I would suggest that the choice is yours.

I also use, and recommend, Vince Leek to restore dynamos - excellent service.

I fitted 6v LED bulbs all round on my Chummy, the total cost was eye-watering (considerably more than a proper dynamo rebuild and a Dynamator purchase) but they do work well.

The rest of my Sevens have incandescent bulbs and when using the one fitted with the Dynamator at night I do notice that full beam is good, and sustained, whereas the dynamo cars are not as good on the exact same bulbs and reflectors. Another thing I like about the Dynamator is that once the battery is fully charged (after about 15mins of driving, sometimes less) it switches itself off and remains like that until extra current is required, consequently the battery is never over-charged. Also, the cut-out becomes redundant - which may appeal to those with a faulty one I guess.

I like dynamos and I also like Dynamators but I won't be rushing out to needlessly replace my dynamos with Dynamator, for the sake of it, but will consider it a practical solution, if required, in the future.

In short, whatever you choose, will work - good luck.
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll contact Vince Leek to overhaul the original dynamo and add the LED lights during the re-wire and hopefully that should sort me out for years to come. First time on the forum and it's been very informative.

Cheers,

Darren
(08-01-2019, 10:38 PM)Darren D Wrote: Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll contact Vince Leek to overhaul the original dynamo and add the LED lights during the re-wire and hopefully that should sort me out for years to come. First time on the forum and it's been very informative.

Cheers,

Darren

Hi Darren, the nice thing in your case is that you can fit the LED flashing indicator inside your wing mounted side lights — Dynamo Conversions, Lincoln do a nice fitting which combines side light with yellow flasher. Similarly the tail light is combined and fits into the “pork pie” lamp holder. So you retain outward originality which is a big plus. Just give all your fittings a good earth and solder your wires where pos.

Charles
    Just because a dynamo motors doesn't mean it will generate, any reluctant dynamo ends up in the vice where I can fiddle without getting my knuckles whacked by the fan. I use a piece of 1/2" square bar turned down to 1/2" diameter at one end to mount the appropriate socket in the electric drill, if the dynamo is OK the electric drill groans a bit and you have to hang onto it.
I found that using Dave's drill/vice method you may have to let it run for a while before the dynamo charges.