The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamator or overhaul existing dynamo?
Hi all,

I am about to do a bit of mechanical restoration on my 1935 Mk 1 Ruby, suspension, brakes and minor engine overhaul. She also needs a re-wire as the existing 6 volt wiring is a mess and probably unsafe. 

My question is do I send the existing dynamo off for overhaul or install one of the more modern 6 volt  dynamators from Accuspark? 

I am more than happy to keep her on the 6 volt system as it's part of her character. I am just looking at improving the overall reliability of the electrics. Any advice would be great fully received. 

Cheers,

Darren
Darren, my original A7 6V dynamo was professionally overhauled by Wynall Ltd. in June 2000 and has performed faultlessly ever since.

I regret Wynall are no longer around, my basic point though is that if properly overhauled by someone who knows what they are doing it can be perfectly reliable.
(06-01-2019, 08:16 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Darren, my original A7 6V dynamo was professionally overhauled by Wynall Ltd. in June 2000 and has performed faultlessly ever since.

I regret Wynall are no longer around, my basic point though is that if properly overhauled by someone who knows what they are doing it can be perfectly reliable.

Thanks Chris. It may also be the cheaper option. Thanks for the advice.
I run 6volt on the original 1932 dynamo (3 brush system). The best thing for a battery is to use it. If you lay up for the winter, charge it every 4 - 6 weeks to keep it in trim. So for me, re condition your dynamo, unless you want lots of lights and gismos. The original system worked 80 odd years ago - why change now ?
BobH
(06-01-2019, 09:03 PM)bob46320 Wrote: I run 6volt on the original 1932 dynamo (3 brush system).  The best thing for a battery is to use it.  If you lay up for the winter,  charge it every 4 - 6 weeks to keep it in trim.  So for me, re condition your dynamo,  unless you want lots of lights and gismos.  The original system worked 80 odd years ago - why change now ?
BobH

All I would add Darren, is to upgrade to led bulbs throughout, after you have sorted your wiring ,the saving in load on the charging system is a revelation and not really expensive. Good luck anyway.
Mixer.
"This chassis appears to have been extensively modified during its life with welded on reinforcement, a strange boxed in cutout in the rail on the front left under the engine, plenty of muck and grime, and no obvious chassis numbers to find - yet."

I wonder if a ford 1172 sv unit was fitted at some point?
(06-01-2019, 07:54 PM)Darren D Wrote: Hi all,

I am about to do a bit of mechanical restoration on my 1935 Mk 1 Ruby, suspension, brakes and minor engine overhaul. She also needs a re-wire as the existing 6 volt wiring is a mess and probably unsafe. 

My question is do I send the existing dynamo off for overhaul or install one of the more modern 6 volt  dynamators from Accuspark? 

I am more than happy to keep her on the 6 volt system as it's part of her character. I am just looking at improving the overall reliability of the electrics. Any advice would be great fully received. 

Cheers,

Darren

Darren, you might consider restoring your original dynamo ( Vince Leek did a great job with mine) and fit LEDs as part of your re wiring. This will enable you to adjust the dynamo output down to the few amps required to keep your battery fully charged.

Charles
If you plan to do a lot of driving at night I can see the sense in this. I also agree the dynamo output must not be set too high. I for one though infinitely prefer traditional bulbs and find the system can cope adequately well when I use the lights, which is frankly not often. I could probably manage a good distance on my battery alone.
(06-01-2019, 07:54 PM)Darren D Wrote: Hi all,

Cheers,

Darren

I'm not sure if you've already done so but I'd be tempted to test the dynamo first, you might find it's working fine anyway? I'd go with other poster's thoughts regarding LED bulbs, if you so wished it would allow thinner wires to be used to headlamps etc.
I recommend Vince Leek without hesitation.  I have used Vince on many occasions.