The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Push rod rear brakes
Good morning all,
(yes it is morning here in the land of kangaroos and grumpy wombats)

Thanks for all the feedback

I've been out to the shed and can confirm it is pull rod, not push, - my poor choice of description.
And, the apparent curve on the rear springs is just a photographic distortion - as far as my inexperienced eye can tell.

I think Charles' summary "so the chassis has some 'history' " is spot on, while Zetomagneto's "Nice proper short chassis 28ish" leaves me somewhat optimistic that its worth pressing on and discovering what other secrets this chassis has to share.
(06-01-2019, 09:35 PM)agmatthews Wrote: Good morning all,

I've been out to the shed and can confirm it is pull rod, not push, - my poor choice of description.
And, the apparent curve on the rear springs is just a photographic distortion - as far as my inexperienced eye can tell.

I think Charles' summary "so the chassis has some 'history' " is spot on, while Zetomagneto's "Nice proper short chassis 28ish" leaves me somewhat optimistic that its worth pressing on and discovering what other secrets this chassis has to share.

Chassis number will be on top of the left member just behind the front forging/casting, and further back next to the left rear engine mounting.Let us know the number then we can date it

If in Oz then you are very fortunate to find a seemingly complete short chassis.

I suggest you buy a copy of Woodrow's book on the Austin 7  if you intend to proceed with a restoration. 

Woodrow is still available from the publisher - don't buy on eBay !

Join an Austin 7 Club to get spares locally plus possibly find a suitable body for it.
Cheers, Tony in Melbourne
As a newbie, I'm curious about the rear brake arrangement. For a '28 chassis, wouldn't the rear brakes operate via the foot brake and the handbrake operate the front brakes on an uncoupled chassis?

Erich in Seattle
(06-01-2019, 10:31 PM)Tony Press Wrote:

If in Oz then you are very fortunate to find a seemingly complete short chassis.

I suggest you buy a copy of Woodrow's book on the Austin 7  if you intend to proceed with a restoration. 

Join an Austin 7 Club to get spares locally plus possibly find a suitable body for it.

Hi Tony,
Yep, I'm in Victoria, just north of Bacchus Marsh
The chassis came with a copy of Woodrow's book, and a few others - lots of learning to do be done.
My " Austin 7 Club Inc" application is in the mail!
-Andrew
(07-01-2019, 06:51 AM)agmatthews Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 10:31 PM)Tony Press Wrote:

Hi Tony,
Yep, I'm in Victoria, just north of Bacchus Marsh
The chassis came with a copy of Woodrow's book, and a few others - lots of learning to do be done.
My " Austin 7 Club Inc" application is in the mail!
-Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Excellent ! I look forward to seeing you at a Club meeting soon at Units 8/9 19-23 Kylie Place, Cheltenham North, the first Monthly General Meeting will be at 8 pm Wednesday 6th February.

Before that you will be welcome to join us at the first Austin 7 Club event for 2019- 'The Picnic in the Park' on the 16th January, venue LePage Park, Argus Street, Cheltenham  Melway ref 78B12, starting around 6.00 pm, BYO everything  including chairs and table.

Come along and make yourself known.

Cheers, Tony.
Just a quick comment from me, given you say the chassis number wasnt obvious, it usually is, when its in the normal place. So this got me thinking.

The body brackets etc fitted are very similar to the 1928 chassis I have. That has no number in the usual place. But has a aluminium plate riveted to the nearside of the rear crossmember with it stamped on. The plate declares it is a chassis owned by the Austin motor co etc, so a chassis supplied to an external coachbuilder. In my case Gordon England.

I know some Australian cars were locally bodied, did these also have such a plate on the crossmember, and nothing on the chassis rail?
agmatthews. Andrew, welcome to the world of Austin 7s. The Austin Seven Clubs Association(A7CA) is an association of the many different Austin 7 clubs around the place. They have a free to access archive in which there are copies of the original spares lists booklets and other records saved from Longbridge; these include a set of cards which detail all the changes as they happened from first A7 to last. You would find them most useful for identifying parts and interchangeability. They can be downloaded and printed out. A hugh thanks must go to the few who gave up their time undertaking this ongoing archive.

Dennis (UK - Devon)