The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ID chassis from poor pictures
(05-01-2019, 01:23 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: No, Nick. September '32 onwards.
I'll take that! 888vs 888a... What's in a letter!
The vertical brackets welded to the axle tubes also tend to suggest that the axle has been used on a trailer or some such.
You folks are good ! (I kind of suspected that from some of the threads I've seen here) It appears that this chassis does have virtue. I'll contact him to see if it is still "in play". Thanks for your keen eyes and expertise, Mike
(05-01-2019, 01:28 PM)Ian Dunford Wrote: The vertical brackets welded to the axle tubes also tend to suggest that the axle has been used on a trailer or some such.

Or perhaps fixing points for telescopic shock absorbers.

There is a good mixture of bits in this project, could still provide the basis of a fun car, good luck.
Hi All

Just wondering, when did the castellated brake support member come in ( the one that runs fore aft and carries the brake lever on later models)?

My 1930 RK doesn't have it. Perhaps it was introduced with coupled brakes?

Howard
Yes, it was Howard.

This must be a very late Short Chassis as the rear crossmember is wider as well, by the looks of it.
Well, it turns out the chassis is still available. It is about 650 miles away, in his friend's shed. It is near where I picked up the Ruby, an epic two day journey. Though better than where he moved to, still a daunting task to go get it. There is a chance I could get it crated and shipped. What would be a good step off point to offer for it ? Save the occasional overpriced Bantam, I don't have much to compare it to in the US. Thanks, Mike
Mike, I think I would want to know what was under the plastic sheet before getting too much further.

Also, where it stands from a documentation viewpoint - don't know how this works in the states but a current registration makes a big difference here.

I wouldn't let it slip through my fingers though, not sure you'll find many more like this within a large radius of where you live.

Has the owner suggested a ball-park figure? Would you say the Ruby was expensive? As that may be the best indicator of whether this is likely to be a bargain or not.
Chris, I'll try to get a pic of what is under the tarp. Not holding my breath though, he's farther from it than I am. He does have a title. I paid $2K US for this http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...by+is+home Ruby. The trip was about $500 or so. Honestly, I don't know what kind of deal that is either.
I think you've got to decide what you will do with it; basically there is very little on that chassis which is suitable as spares for the Ruby, so it is only of use to you if you have plans to build it into a special. As to value, that's difficult to assess as it's in the States, where there is probably very little interest in the Seven; with a $500 transport cost to add into the equation, I would suggest only a nominal figure for the purchase - $200 to $500 maximum.