The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North West England Restoration Services
Dave wants someone to reassemble a collection of parts that he bought for himself.
He now realises that for various reasons he is not now in a position to do it himself.
But he still wants someone else to do it for him if possible.
When he finds out the true cost he will be in a position to know whether he wants to continue or buy another undertaking altogether.
Like Martin ,as you say Zeto,I have made a living from Austin Sevens for over 40 years now and also like Martin  I imagine I am occasionally unable to properly make a perfect job of all the things that can rear their ugly heads.
Which is why,possibly like Martin again,I more often than not pay others to do the job properly
Hi Ian,

As I said in my post above, it's not so much getting someone else to reassemble the parts for me (though that may be an option dependant on cost), it would be more like getting the parts restored and then I could reassemble myself.

Cheers,
David
(04-01-2019, 11:39 PM)Ian Dunford Wrote: Dave wants someone to reassemble a collection of parts that he bought for himself.
He now realises that for various reasons he is not now in a position to do it himself.
But he still wants someone else to do it for him if possible.
When he finds out the true cost he will be in a position to know whether he wants to continue or buy another undertaking altogether.
Like Martin ,as you say Zeto,I have made a living from Austin Sevens for over 40 years now and also like Martin  I imagine I am occasionally unable to properly make a perfect job of all the things that can rear their ugly heads.
Which is why,possibly like Martin again,I more often than not pay others to do the job properly
I will happily pay someone to do what I can’t do.You will recall the hours I spent at John Platts bead blasting parts for my 12/4 .There is not a single bolt or nut on that car that has not been out all done by me over a number of years, the labour cost if paid for would have been astronomical probably in excess of £100000.What do they sell for? £18000 to £20000?
Your approach of buying a running car for £4000 was easier than me restoring one!
however the work was challenging and fulfilling 
Best Wishes Gene
Dave,

I think your first move needs to be to get someone local with A7 experience to assess what you have. From your photos it is quite possible that some major components will not need any great amount of work; the chassis looks to be in fine order apart from the tail end of the rear extension (which you may not need if you are building a special, anyway) and will respond to a wire brush and a lick of paint. The road springs may be ok, but new replacements are readily available, the back axle and gearbox may also just need a good clean, the front axle needs assessing for kingpin wear (if needed I believe Ian Dunford can help you there), brakes are a simple assembly overhaul, which just leaves the engine ...

Over the years I have rebuilt numerous engines, but I must admit these days I would be inclined to pay someone like Ian Bancroft to do a full overhaul - it will cost a lot of money, but if you are not confident in your own ability, it will be money well-spent. Then all you have to do is re-assemble all the bits!
(05-01-2019, 09:41 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Dave,

I think your first move needs to be to get someone local with A7 experience to assess what you have. From your photos it is quite possible that some major components will not need any great amount of work; the chassis looks to be in fine order apart from the tail end of the rear extension (which you may not need if you are building a special, anyway) and will respond to a wire brush and a lick of paint. The road springs may be ok, but new replacements are readily available, the back axle and gearbox may also just need a good clean, the front axle needs assessing for kingpin wear (if needed I believe Ian Dunford can help you there), brakes are a simple assembly overhaul, which just leaves the engine ...

Over the years I have rebuilt numerous engines, but I must admit these days I would be inclined to pay someone like Ian Bancroft to do a full overhaul - it will cost a lot of money, but if you are not confident in your own ability, it will be money well-spent. Then all you have to do is re-assemble all the bits!

Hi, I'm based in Warrington and would be happy to come an assess what sort of condition the bits you have are in. I,m heading off to Swindon now but will be back next week. Know a bit about A7's as I've been keeping a few going for about 45 years.