The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North West England Restoration Services
Question 
Morning Peeps,

Hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas and New Year holidays.

A lack of personal time/motivation/ sprog on the way I currently have an 1938 7 Chassis almost stripped (Rear Axle partially removed, front axle fully, a lot of surface rust) that I would like to pass to a service that can turn it into a roadworthy rolling chassis (with cleaned engine and gearbox bits so I can assemble/ modify it myself) and then put a sports body on it.

I'm based near Liverpool and where the National Rail Trials were held.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Cheers,
Dave
Flying Sevens have a base somewhere in Derbyshire, not exactly on your doorstep in Liverpool, but within transportable distance.

https://flyingsevens.co.uk
Dave,

I can recommend Ruairidh Dunford at Alba Austins in Glasgow. A good common sense approach to restoration and he can arrange transport for you. 

You'll see one of his own projects under the "Cup in a Box" listing.

Peter.
Hello Dave.
Ruairidh can do exactly what you want and can be contacted at dunford1@aol.com.
(03-01-2019, 09:05 AM)worthidlj Wrote: Morning Peeps,

A lack of personal time/motivation/ sprog on the way I currently have an 1938 7 Chassis almost stripped (Rear Axle partially removed, front axle fully, a lot of surface rust) that I would like to pass to a service that can turn it into a roadworthy rolling chassis (with cleaned engine and gearbox bits so I can assemble/ modify it myself) and then put a sports body on it.

Cheers,
Dave
Ruairidh is the man for you, talk to him you will not be disappointed.
(03-01-2019, 09:05 AM)worthidlj Wrote: Morning Peeps,

Cheers,
Dave

Some good people recommended, but a lot of work involved which will result in this being a costly exercise.If you are not able to do most of the work yoursef you might be better off buying a car in running order.You are probably looking at 2 years minimum to build a car from scratch.
Cost could be offset by selling what you already have.
Following Zetos opinion suggests that the logical conclusion is that all repair work is an expensive folly to which therefore the only sensible action is to buy something “new”
Personally I have never actually owned a “new” car in my life.
Make do and mend is my parsimonious but highly unfashionable motto.
(04-01-2019, 03:48 PM)Ian Dunford Wrote: Following Zetos opinion suggests that the logical conclusion is that all repair  work is an expensive folly to which therefore the only sensible action is to buy something “new”

Absolutely!  There's something enormously satisfying in breathing life back into something that everyone tells you is beyond saving.  If "make-do-and-mend"
is parsimonious then I'm tight-fisted and proud of it!

Of course, this doesn't apply to Austin Seven woodwork!
(04-01-2019, 03:48 PM)Ian Dunford Wrote: Following Zetos opinion suggests that the logical conclusion is that all repair  work is an expensive folly to which therefore the only sensible action is to buy something “new”

I too have never bought a new car, where do I say buy “new”
Reading the OP he has not the time/ inclination, and has a family on the way.
Ian, you have made your living out of A7s, you know what it cost, and you know the truth of my words.
If you have to pay someone else to do everything it is not cost effective particularly on something as late and incomplete as Dave’s car.
What the OP wants is not repair work, but construction of a running chassis from parts in poor condition,most of us on this forum would do that ourselves and get a great deal of pleasure out of it.
I for one do not pay anyone to do things I can do myself.Mend to a good standard is what I enjoy, I do not like bodges or lash ups and find myself often undoing other peoples poor workmanship.

I fear you and Martin as Traders with a vested interest ,and have misinterpreted what I said, or you did not properly ready the OP.
Thanks for the responses, and I see both sides to them.
In hindsight I probably should have gone for a kit car, but the charm and size (particularly as I have a small garage! Wink ) just seemed more endearing and I do want to finish this project.. the incoming sprog just means that I'll have to take longer to finish is all.
I suppose a bare minimum would just be getting the components restored to a roadworthy condition and I re-assemble from a bare chassis and box of bits; I think my naivety stemmed from never having to restore something before.
Previous work has meant I have experience in assembling and fettling things but nothing as in=depth as restoration.
I'll upload some pics to show what state it is currently in (apologies for the mess! :Tongue)

Cheers,
Dave

Cheers,
Dave