The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - January 2019
Bob, I cannot recall whether the law was still applied, but lorries in the 1950s were still displaying 20mph restriction signs on their tailboards.
Nick, I think you may well be right; the worker standing by the front wheel of the chassis on the ramp is positioned more suitably for restraining the chassis going down the ramp to the waiting worker behind, rather than attempting to lever the chassis forward onto the trailer (without the assistance of his colleague!). The unmarked lorry is also too short to take a complete car, which suggests it was only used to transport bare chassis, so presumably the scenario is that the main chassis assembly was in a different part of the works, and we are looking at the final assembly shop where chassis are taken in on the ground floor and emerge from the upper floor as completed cars.
(01-01-2019, 10:52 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: I don't think we are disagreeing. My point was merely to point out that given the 28 to 31 date for the photo, it's unlikely that the chassis were off to Ihle, (any Ihle registered that early being rebodied Dixis).

With the non signwritten wagon moving them and nothing obvious moving the car up, I was merely suggesting the comment regarding the movement of chasis to add bodies is more likely. 

Sounds like Ihle did their own thing for a bit before 34, when BMW styling clearly reflects their work.

I'm sure you're right Nick. I also wonder how staged the photo is; other factory photos from that time have a similarly "tidy but busy" feel to them.

Peter.
(02-01-2019, 09:42 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Bob, I cannot recall whether the law was still applied, but lorries in the 1950s were still displaying 20mph restriction signs on their tailboards.

I remember in the early 50’s my father’s words when following a lorry as being “stuck behind a 20 mile per hour man”.
(02-01-2019, 09:06 AM)Chris KC Wrote: That's as maybe Bob; but there's the law and there's the - Hell Drivers...

https://vimeo.com/275230172

Sure I have met some of these guys on the road!
I saw this picture on the t'internet. I was looking for info on Dixis at the time.
(02-01-2019, 12:10 PM)Bruce Nicholls Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 09:06 AM)Chris KC Wrote: That's as maybe Bob; but there's the law and there's the - Hell Drivers...

https://vimeo.com/275230172

Sure I have met some of these guys on the road!

It may be a forgotten B-movie but it has an awesome cast - Stanley Baker, Herbert Lom, Patrick McGoohan (The Prisoner), William Hartnell (original Dr. Who), Sean Connery, Alfie Bass, David McCallum, Gordon Jackson, Jill Ireland, Peggy Cummins, Sid James....

It is fairly obvious though that most of the action was filmed at 20mph and speeded up!
Ooooh, I remember seeing Hell Drivers in the mid/late 1960's. I daren't watch it again as I'm sure the stunts will seem tame and the cast will look like teenagers.
(03-01-2019, 09:21 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Ooooh, I remember seeing Hell Drivers in the mid/late 1960's.  I daren't watch it again as I'm sure the stunts will seem tame and the cast will look like teenagers.

I dunno Duncan, it's still a penny thriller but bears watching again. I concede everyone looks rather young though...

Back on topic the picture looks staged to me - I reckon it was intended to show what the site did i.e. frames in, cars out. It almost certainly hung on the plant manager's office wall.
(03-01-2019, 11:49 AM)ainChris KC Wrote:
(03-01-2019, 09:21 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Ooooh, I remember seeing Hell Drivers in the mid/late 1960's.  I daren't watch it again as I'm sure the stunts will seem tame and the cast will look like teenagers.

I dunno Duncan, it's still a penny thriller but bears watching again. I concede evetyone looks rather young though...

Back on topic the picture looks staged to me - I reckon it was intended to show what the site did i.e. frames in, cars out. It almost certainly hung on the plant manager's office wall.
Apologies if I'm in the wrong post code, as I'm still refused access to Registration (the latest attempt at registering said someone else already had my email address!) but the reference above to old movies reminds me :  A 1932 film with Jack Hulbert and Cecily Courtneige shows a (short?) Box being commandeered by  the Police to chase  a villain through London streets full of Austin Sevens galore.  The name was "Jack's the Boy".   Also "The Eagle has landed" features a Chummy and a Yellow long w/base Box.  Do they happen to be owned by Forum members?   Cheers,  Bill in Oz