The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - January 2019
A fabulous shot of BMW-Dixis being dispatched from the Eisenach Works. They appear to be DA2 models, which dates the photo to 1929-31. It's interesting that one consignment is of rolling chassis; were these destined to outside coachbuilders?

[Image: 14_05_11_17_8_52_21.jpeg]
Superb photo, what were the hooks used for on the vehicle on the LHS of the photo? Were the rolling chassis being received to have the bodies placed on them ?
Wonderful photo Mike!

I love how they are loading them onto the transporter two abreast!

Check out the wheels and tyres on the lorry / trailer...
(01-01-2019, 09:58 AM)Chris KC Wrote: ... Check out the wheels and tyres on the lorry / trailer...

Yes, solid tyres and chain drive!
(01-01-2019, 10:24 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 09:58 AM)Chris KC Wrote: ... Check out the wheels and tyres on the lorry / trailer...

Yes, solid tyres and chain drive!

...and unless I'm mistaken, girt big drum brakes on the rear axle only!
Hi Mike

What a great photo, how did it come your way?

I’ve seen similar ones of TR3A being shipped out of the Triumph factory.

Very evocative of the times when cars were really luxury objects.

I can only image what that big truck must have sounded like!

Best wishes for 2019

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
What a lovely photo. Dixi chassis were used by several coachbuilders, Ihle being the most prolific.

Peter.
I love the picture, very atmospheric.. and Ihle is one of my heroes...
(01-01-2019, 12:24 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: What a lovely photo. Dixi chassis were used by several coachbuilders, Ihle being the most prolific.

Peter.

Is the information in the source book that states that Ihle only rebodied second hand Dixis incorrect?. I came to think the BMW double kidney grille started on the 1931 Austin 7 streamlined racer and was copied by Ihle on their 600s in 1932. Some Ihle have earlier registration dates than 1931 but this is explained by the 'upcycling'. Hard to be sure from the photo, but the truck moving chassis isn't signwritten...
Mike - what a terrific picture. I wish I had had it a few years ago when a BMW salesman who was trying to sell me a new BMW flatly denied that the car division was established by making A7s on licence from Austin - needless to say I took my business elsewhere!

Best regards for 2019

Stuart