The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
viewing others' club magazines
well that's all good thanks. Here is another repository I was looking at recently. Perhaps others could post club archives if they have them?

Norfolk: http://www.na7c.co.uk/arc_natter2.htm

London Club is here, but not up to date: http://austinsevenownersclub.co.uk/magazine/

But these aren't actually fulfilling my gist of the first post. If everyone had e-view of everyone's mag immediately as part of their club subs, then all club members could potentially benefit... if they wished to be able to flick through others mags.
(02-01-2019, 06:46 PM)JonE Wrote: well that's all good thanks. Here is another repository I was looking at recently. Perhaps others could post club archives if they have them?

Norfolk: http://www.na7c.co.uk/arc_natter2.htm

London Club is here, but not up to date: http://austinsevenownersclub.co.uk/magazine/

But these aren't actually fulfilling my gist of the first post. If everyone had e-view of everyone's mag immediately as part of their club subs, then all club members could potentially benefit... if they wished to be able to flick through others mags.

For the Melbourne Austin 7 Club I put the new Light Shaft magazine up as a PDf on the Club website each month (usually ahead of the mailed hard copy) - password protected for the members to view. So far the online 'archive' goes back to 2017. 

We are trying to get the members to accept an emailed copy with very slow take up- possibly we should adopt the method used by some clubs- just delete the hard copy !

As a first step we are supplying other car clubs with the PDF instead of a hard copy (as many of these other clubs do).

The Club committee is still to be convinced we should offer the magazine on the website free- arguing that it attracts members - I am not sure that this is true. 

Tony P.
(04-01-2019, 02:17 AM)Tony Press Wrote: We are trying to get the members to accept an emailed copy with very slow take up- possibly we should adopt the method used by some clubs- just delete the hard copy !

Tony P.

Tony, a useful tip for when the Melbourne Club unilaterally decides to end the paper magazine. Over here, the 750MC committee attempted to go "electronic only" some years ago but met with resistance from the membership. The committee responded by reducing the frequency of the magazine. After a while they had another go but evidently decided to just do it.
Here's the tweak - they timed the announcement of their decision, in the last ever "Bulletin" to arrive, nicely just after all the direct debits for membership renewal had gone out. So people like me who would have preferred a paper copy (for reasons I won't bore you with) found that the deal for which they had just paid a year's subscription was immediately changed. I thought only government departments did that.
So it's a win - win, you get rid of the people like me and you keep a yearsworth of their money. Of course, the 750 MC lost my long standing financial support a year later and my good opinion immediately, which I don't suppose keeps the committee awake at night. So your committee might like to learn from the pros?

Regards,
Stuart
I am a member of a world wide organisation (not A/seven or indeed any car classic or otherwise).This organisation is made up of a number countries all of which have individual branches within them. My branch which is part of Section UK now states that all member need to have an email address. This is in order that all communications are made by email, this includes the local branch newsletter together with monthly bulletins and national quarterly magazine. This all works well and reduces the postage cost by a very large amount.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
It is the way forward, in my opinion, John.

Despite this, I still like a real magazine...
I'd argue that on environmental grounds, we could all start to work out what really needs to be consigned to paper for the benefit of future Austin 7 interested readers and what we can cope with being in an e-newsletter - like results of quizzes and loveliness of cakes etc.

Then we could appreciate our paper mags more rather than them being filled to keep page numbers up.

If less mags are produced, that's not necessarily a problem if there is a monthly e-newsletter too, in the simplest possible form/no design needed.
(05-01-2019, 03:05 PM)JonE Wrote: I'd argue that on environmental grounds ...

Actually, the timber grown for paper production is all very good for the environment; the timber is harvested as young trees (and regularly renewed) which generate more oxygen into the atmosphere than mature trees, although I accept the actual manufacturing process counterbalances this.
(05-01-2019, 02:34 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: It is the way forward, in my opinion, John.

Despite this, I still like a real magazine...

Unfortunately for a number of reasons it probably is the only way for all clubs to go. 

While I am encouraging members to accept an online version of the club monthly magazine - and we are as a club assembling an email list of members (excellent for last minute notifications) which is finding resistance among some members, I have a full collection of paper Light Shafts back to 1955 with even a copy of the second published .

I also collect 'The Automobile' and Meccano Club Magazines plus a complete collection of the original 'Meccano Magazine' from the 20's- sad I know.

Perhaps I can console myself by remembering the electronic world - in Melbourne at least - is powered by coal  so we are all heading down the track to MAD .

Cheers, Tony P (with Luddite tendencies !)
I too enjoy hard copy Tony - by the way, in case it’s not clear, our Club offers both electronic and hard copy, members choose.

My house is full of books and magazines, including Meccano - which my daughters and I love. I have two full sets of bound A7CA Magazines.

I enjoy all of these but can feel the walls closing in on me, hence why electronic is the way forward, for me.

My electricity is supplied by Scottish Hydro.
(05-01-2019, 11:21 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I too enjoy hard copy Tony - by the way, in case it’s not clear, our Club offers both electronic and hard copy, members choose.

My house is full of books and magazines, including Meccano - which my daughters and I love.  I have two full sets of bound A7CA Magazines.

I enjoy all of these but can feel the walls closing in on me, hence why electronic is the way forward, for me.

My electricity is supplied by Scottish Hydro.

Thank you Ruairdh - I had forgotten  the A7CA magazines! Recent from about 5 years ago plus a few bound copies of earlier issues - where will it all end. 

Unfortunately The International Meccanoman magazine has lost its editor and is about to stop (it was still in paper)!! 

But I am running out of space now so I think I will be forced to change .