The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death of another Ruby
Pah! - the market is being flooded. This one seems to be sitting on a chassis!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-just...rk:95:pf:0

I foresee one day in the future when vast tracts of two-a-penny ulsteroids will be converted back into rare Jewel series saloons.
What for Tony? I salvaged a RN chassis and fittings 56 years ago, the body was wrecked from it's rapid descent backwards into a farmer' clay pit. 36 years later I bought a bare RN body and resurrected the car and nobody said anything untoward.
Hi Dave,
Always good to here from you.

I wasn't even born 56 years ago  Wink

Tony.
(30-12-2018, 09:09 PM)JonE Wrote: Pah! - the market is being flooded. This one seems to be sitting on a chassis!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-just...rk:95:pf:0

I foresee one day in the future when vast tracts of two-a-penny ulsteroids will be converted back into rare Jewel series saloons.

Sadly while many are prepared to pay £20K plus for a "special" as against less than £10k for a good saloon, much less in many cases, this will continue to happen. As I remember it, 40 years ago genuine cars were the expensive ones, specials were cheap. Changing times I am afraid.
(31-12-2018, 10:54 AM)Bruce Nicholls Wrote:  

Sadly while many are prepared to pay £20K plus for a "special" as against less than £10k for a good saloon, much less in many cases, this will continue to happen. As I remember it, 40 years ago genuine cars were the expensive ones, specials were cheap. Changing times I am afraid.

In these changing times, many people buying these  specials are the would-be racers / would be race-car-from-the-past-owners; open topped specials are more 'glamourous' than boring saloons you are not seen in and many Tom, Dick and Harry are jumping on that bandwagon.... just like other 'sports' that used to be 'elitist' (a populist way to discard people with good manners and taste...) have been discovered  by  some of the 'Hoi Polloi' who have more money than manners: Tennis, Golf, Polo, historic rallying.... There's hardly a decent car at the start of 'historic' regularity rallies over here anymore..  Porsches 911,  Opels,  Volvo's and Fords from the 1970's galore... And even if there is a 'vintage' class you need to bring a fast one kitted out with  a plethora of 'rally-equipment' .... but now I'm straying too far... Yes Bruce...It's a matter of popular demand that drives prices up.
The irony is that most of these modern-day specials never seem to see the light of day. Apart from the few used in trials and sprints, I  haven't seen one on the road or at a rally. Presumably they are all sitting in heated garages next to all those Ferraris that never get used.
Michael, I'm sure we can both recall (1970s) when many a perfectly good cheap special was turned into a freshly bodied Chummy. One tries to be philosophical.

At least the heated garages will preserve the specials ready for the next turn of Fortune's wheel, as JonE predicts!

Happy New Year,
Stuart
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1936-austin-r...rk:62:pf:0

and another one...
When I built my Benjaustin I used it regularly for shopping, picnics and visiting car shows and taking it to the GP Retro at le Puy-Notre-Dame. I sold it (in error!) and I don't think it has travelled 20 miles since, sitting in a collector's garage.
IMHO collectors cars should be taken out to see the sunshine on a regular basis and rain won't do them much harm. Sitting idle in a garage is positively bad for them.
Ditto collectors?