The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death of another Ruby
He probably didn't pay more than £1500 for the whole car, so if he can sell the body for £1500 - and that's probably a big if - he gets the running gear for nothing.
(30-12-2018, 02:03 PM)Paul N-M Wrote:
(30-12-2018, 01:55 PM)Charles P Wrote: It only makes commercial sense if you cobble together a very rough fabric and non compound bent ali body and sell it as an "incomplete project" to the unwary. If you actually planned to build a Ulster style car on this chassis I doubt that you'd make money.
Maybe thats the plan, who knows. We're all speculating.
Time will no doubt tell!

Paul N-M

I suspect that we're all thinking the same thing.  Speculation probably doesn't come into it!
(30-12-2018, 01:55 PM)Charles P Wrote: It only makes commercial sense if you cobble together a very rough fabric and non compound bent ali body and sell it as an "incomplete project" to the unwary. If you actually planned to build a Ulster style car on this chassis I doubt that you'd make money.

Hi Charles,

Sorry but I've got to disagree.

Check the brightwells back catalogue for last year.

Someone entered basically a Ruby with a rod yates body thrown on. It was an unfinished car. So the last difficult 10% wasn't even done.

I beleive the car was estimated £10k to £12k. I think it finished at £12.5k

as a dealer I can quickly work out that a running but not road worthy Ruby can be bought for £4k I'm sure this non austin 7 lover would snatch your hand of for a grand for the body.

Leaving him in for £3k
Rod yates body with bonet etc £3k
I'm sure it will come onto the market with a box saloon rad and surround £100
All the rest of the parts can come from the Ruby, dials light etc. They don't have to work. Just be there.

So he is in for £6,100 let's call it £7.5k if we alow his durv, auction fees, drink problem for for not being able to live with himself etc.

Sold     £12.5k
           -£. 7.5k

In my book = £5,000 profit.

You might even see it in the next brightwells sale.

Do 4 a year, it's a living. For about 2 months work.

Don't know why I'm not doing it myself?

Tony.
I may be mistaken but, looking at the remaining paintwork I would suggest that someone started with a bottle of Nitromors emptied onto the panels and scraped back as far as the paint was partially stripped. It might be unkind but it does look like deliberate damage to shut up the enthusiasts who complain as per the foregoing.
If this is the game it's reprehensible and his cover has been blown.
If it appears on eBay we'll know for certain by the id!
Hi Duncan,

If it ends up in brightwells or any other auction. With a rod Yates or compound curvatures body. You are unlikely to know who is selling.
We know the person's identity. We know what he does with the cars he buys (though I don't think he admits he's done any work on them and often they are for sale for his uncle/ mate...). Some pour souls have posted on the forum for help and advice as to what they can do with them. There is no speculation.

Tony is spot on. I also like the jest re money for drink... I'd love to know how he justifies the approach he takes. I know he has had some very unhappy customers. (Waterski man... Not Tony!)
(30-12-2018, 05:21 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: I know he has had some very unhappy customers. (Waterski man... Not Tony!)

No need to worry about unhappy customers if you don't have a conscience and/or you don't want repeat customers.
(30-12-2018, 03:57 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I may be mistaken but, looking at the remaining paintwork I would suggest that  someone started with a bottle of Nitromors emptied onto the panels and scraped back as far as the paint was partially stripped. It might be unkind but it does look like deliberate damage to shut up the enthusiasts who complain as per the foregoing.
If this is the game it's reprehensible and his cover has been blown.
If it appears on eBay we'll know for certain by the id!

The advert suggests that the paint has been stripped to show how rust-free the body is... strange how they've left the paint on the most rust-prone area round the wheel arches  Rolleyes
Hi mike,

Also note for your £1,500 you get the body, doors window frames.

I wonder why the WINGS AND BONET WERE NOT STRIPPED.

or perhaps it's obvious.

Tony.
Makes the £400 Ruby body on eBay seem like a bargain...