The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grasshopper Replica
Why "Yuck!" Hedd, Stuart and his Dad are doing a great job or am I missing your point?
Black Art Enthusiast
(06-11-2017, 11:19 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Why "Yuck!" Hedd, Stuart and his Dad are doing a great job or am I missing your point?

“Hear, Hear!”
(06-11-2017, 10:45 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote: Stuart has very well demonstrated why they were called Grasshoppers. Yuk!

I think Hedd is referring to the colour (I hope!). It may be a step too far towards absolute authenticity, whilst its authentic to a component off an original car, I must admit I'm none to keen either! Maybe it will look better once polished.
quite right Stuart, it is authentically a vile colour.

Keep it up.
It looks very similar to "Atlantic green" this was an Austin sport's colour that Jon Edgar was trying to replicate on his Nippy
Black Art Enthusiast
hmm.. my first impression was that it couldn't be, but it would be an interesting link if they HAD used it...
see what you think of the bottom righthand car
http://www.motorgraphs.com/heritage/aust...54615.aspx

There are a couple of angles of one of the pics where it COULD conceivably be related, but most shots don't look blue enough?

My recreation (no sources other than the secondary sources -  hi res scans of the 1930s printed matter) is a lot lighter and less drab.

If it is an accurate match to an authentic colour then why not run with it Stuart, I will look different once polished and fitted up too.
Black Art Enthusiast
(07-11-2017, 08:39 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: If it is an accurate match to an authentic colour then why not run with it Stuart, I will look different once polished and fitted up too.

It would certainly be interesting to see the images of the authentic part, Stuart... and to know what it was off; presumably a grasshopper? Whereabouts is it now? (seeing photos is never very good by comparison)
The colour isn't a perfect match, but its pretty close. The sample it matches too was behind the number plate lamp, so is almost certainly the factory colour. The part has gone back to its owner now.

It has proved very difficult to replicate the exact colour and in the words of the stones I was tempted to paint it black!
have you got a pic of the sample by any chance? it would help for the atlantic green file... even if just to discount.