The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster colours
My Coupe was BL Damask Red:

.jpg   1972 Welsh Trial.jpg (Size: 152.46 KB / Downloads: 423)
(26-12-2018, 09:27 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: My Coupe was BL Damask Red:

As is my Trials Chummy (well, most of it Wink). My P Type Lea Francis was Ford Burgundy Red which is all but the same colour. You could only see the very slight difference when they were side by side. 

Steve
Hi jonE,

Thanks for the pic.

Gremlins in my email at the moment?

Tony.
Also worth remembering that enamel and early cellulose paints were far from colour stable, in particular reds! The showroom colour would mellow over the passing years. I am told by an enamel paint expert that it reaches the "designed" colour at about 2-3 years old. At the end of the day you just have to pick the colour you like, probably won't be right, but it won't be wrong either ;-)
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
(26-12-2018, 09:22 PM)MartinH Wrote: Also worth remembering that enamel and early cellulose paints were far from colour stable, in particular reds! The showroom colour would mellow over the passing years. I am told by an enamel paint expert that it reaches the "designed" colour at about 2-3 years old. At the end of the day you just have to pick the colour you like, probably won't be right, but it won't be wrong either ;-)

Getting back to Tony Press' question : "Weren't some of the Ulsters Blue?"  Almost correct, Not sure how many were involved but some factory competition cars were painted Turquoise.  The reason ?   Because it was Irene Waite's favourite colour at that time.  May be worth a thought, Tracy and Tony?   Good Luck and a Happy New Beer.   Bill in Oz
Hi martin,

I totally understand what you mean about red.

In the uphaulstry leather world, they still get problems with red dyes. It doesn't always produce the colour/shades they expect.

And Bill I know the huge knowledge you have on 7s.

So hopefully you don't mind me asking a question.

Is there a way of finding out what chassis numbers and engine numbers were in these works cars.

I ask as many race results seam to give the drivers name, and car as austin 7 or Ulster etc. NO reg number. I take it the cars were not registered for the road?

Tony.
(27-12-2018, 01:13 AM)Tony Betts Wrote: Hi martin,

I totally understand what you mean about red.

In the uphaulstry leather world, they still get problems with red dyes. It doesn't always produce the colour/shades they expect.

And Bill I know the huge knowledge you have on 7s.

So hopefully you don't mind me asking a question.

Is there a way of finding out what chassis numbers and engine numbers were in these works cars.

I ask as many race results seam to give the drivers name, and car as austin 7 or Ulster etc. NO reg number. I take it the cars were not registered for the road?

Tony.
Sorry Tony, not much help, particularly as most contemporary photos show no registration plates on factory racers.  I can tell you from photos the numbers on the 1929 Ulster cars and Beatrice Canning-Brown has occasional numbers listed for competition cars.  Even then it's a doubtful area.  As I've concentrated more on Pram Hood history I can tell most of the factory numbers in Trials etc, but there's no guarantee the plates haven't been swapped from car to car for convenience (Example OL166 appeared on about six different cars).  With '30-type Ulsters, suggest your best help will come from Henry Harris who has a lot of details including Rego and chassis numbers etc.  Good Luck with your search.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Hi bill,

Thanks for the reply.

Usually people won't come forward with what they know about sports 7s on the forum.

Thanks Tony.
I'm not sure it's of any use to you Tony, but I do have a coachpainting book from 1924 and it contains a lot of contemporary colour samples. The blues are mostly rather dark navy / royal blue shades. But things had probably changed quite a bit by 1930.

"Prussian blue forms the base of most of the blue shades adopted by motor-car manufacturers ... the addition of white and a little black ... produces various types of neutral blue, now so popular for motor bodies.

Ultramarine blue - this beautiful colour is rather a difficult one to handle economically by reason of its oil-absorbing qualities and want of opacity..."

I for one would say match the original colour if you can find clear evidence of it.
Everyone like to keep to original colour schemes if possible but I would not let that stop you using a colour you actually like. As you say it's nice to have a car which stands out from the crowd a bit.
Hi chris,
Thanks for the offer, I'll come back to you if I need it closer to the time.
It's much apreciated.

The Ulster I hope to get in in either August or October? Depending on how quickly thing are brought together in the first half of the year. So making sure all duck are in a row.

I apreciate you understand what I'm on about with keeping original colours on original cars, or making them stand out. No everyone does.

Restoring a particular car, is a job I only want to do once.  And I only want to have to have it sprayed once. Upkeep is a lot easier.

Thanks Tony.