The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Magneto
Finally completed the Seven Special 1927 6v rewire, amazingly everything works, well almost.
After standing for a couple of months she refuses to start.
Turns over well but will not run, however when I wired the new magneto fly lead and tightened the securing nut the cover rotated slightly. I'm no magneto expert but I'm assuming this has either advanced or retarded the timing? Nothing else was touched on the magneto and it was not removed, does anybody suspect this as my problem?
I did rotate the cover slightly and She would idle (very low revs) but as soon as I engaged the throttle she stalled. 
Manufacturer B T H?

Many thanks
(19-12-2018, 10:27 PM)Paul Nott Wrote: Finally completed the Seven Special 1927 6v rewire, amazingly everything works, well almost.
After standing for a couple of months she refuses to start.
Turns over well but will not run, however when I wired the new magneto fly lead and tightened the securing nut the cover rotated slightly. I'm no magneto expert but I'm assuming this has either advanced or retarded the timing? Nothing else was touched on the magneto and it was not removed, does anybody suspect this as my problem?
I did rotate the cover slightly and She would idle (very low revs) but as soon as I engaged the throttle she stalled. 
Manufacturer B T H?

Many thanks

It may have altered the timing slightly, but only within the limitations imposed by the stops on the camring, in other words you will be somewhere between full advance and full retard, presumably you have the linkage connected up to the steering column controls.
If it starts, but stalls when opening the throttle this would suggest a fuelling issue.
Thanks for the reply, I will investigate possible fuelling problem.
One thing I would say is yes the magneto control was connected to the throttle shaft, however the fly lead end cover can still rotate independently-is this correct?
Sorry to appear so ill informed regarding magneto operation, until purchase a few months ago I'd never even herd of a magneto !
(20-12-2018, 10:04 AM)Paul Nott Wrote: Thanks for the reply, I will investigate possible fuelling problem.
One thing I would say is yes the magneto control was connected to the throttle shaft, however the fly lead end cover can still rotate independently-is this correct?
Sorry to appear so ill informed regarding magneto operation, until purchase a few months ago I'd never even herd of a magneto !

Yes, the bakelite cap can go in any position, it is there to make contact with the centre bolt on the contact breaker assembly, when you turn off the magneto at the switch this earths the centre bolts via the sping loaded central carbon brush on the cap.