The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
1921(!) Chummy
When my Chummy came back from Oregon in 2011, the DMV in Oregon still had all the information on the car (microfiched) from when it was registered there.  A local librarian kindly obtained copies of what they had - including an old buff logbook with the original number on it - which she signed as genuine copies - and the DVLA accepted this as proof and reissued the number.  So if there isn't any original paperwork with the car, this might work...

Regards,
Colin
Wow Colin,
You done well there, they don't normally accept copies.

I imported an MGM type a few years ago. It had a mountain of paperwork history. But the title would only get me an age related. To get the original number I needed a V5, old tax disc, or MOT. sadly I had none.

Never mind.
A tax disc is no longer an accepted item (nor, probably, is an MOT certificate); there must be clear documentation that links the registration number to a specific chassis or car number. An original log book is obviously ideal, but something like an import or export document or a sales invoice that quotes both numbers should be suitable. Copies of documents are acceptable so long as they are authenticated by a recognised authority - in Colin's case the library official was obviously satisfactory, as would be an official from somewhere like the Kithead Trust, whereas in the case of your MG, Tony, presumably there was no document which actually quoted both numbers to show that one belongs to the other.
Try and get any documents in particular any UK export details or USA import docs that could shoe chassis and registration numbers.
My latest car has some copy documents and I am about to do battle with DVLA not helped by a mistake of theirs back in the 80s!
You may find (if very lucky) that the original OK  (BIRMINGHAM) registration information is still on file,but don't hold your breath! I
I assume the club records don't show it up.
David
Yes hard evidence is king (or queen to be politically correct) I am not a trader but have bought many cars over from the US and the majority have very little or no paperwork history, although I did buy an MG TD a couple of months ago which had every bit of history including the original Title and Bill of sale. I think it will be hard to prove the original registration on the Austin but that is part of the fun of these old car is discovering their past.
OK 9365 is almost certainly not that car's original UK registration number. The OK series was finished before the end of 1923, and the car is clearly a C-type car dating from late 1924 onwards. It is not uncommon for British cars in the USA to acquire registration plates which do not match the original car (and I must admit I have done exactly the same thing in reverse - I imported a 1914 Saxon from the States and later acquired a set of period Connecticut licence plates which  attached to the car).
(09-01-2019, 09:43 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: OK 9365 is almost certainly not that car's original UK registration number. The OK series was finished before the end of 1923, and the car is clearly a C-type car dating from late 1924 onwards. It is not uncommon for British cars in the USA to acquire registration plates which do not match the original car (and I must admit I have done exactly the same thing in reverse - I imported a 1914 Saxon from the States and later acquired a set of period Connecticut licence plates which  attached to the car).

OK 9365 is the registration number used on the cover illustration of the 1972 edition of Wyatt's Austin Seven Motor for the Millions book so may be spurious, although the model of chummy ie AC type is the same.
(08-01-2019, 10:44 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: A tax disc is no longer an accepted item (nor, probably, is an MOT certificate); there must be clear documentation that links the registration number to a specific chassis or car number. An original log book is obviously ideal, but something like an import or export document or a sales invoice that quotes both numbers should be suitable. Copies of documents are acceptable so long as they are authenticated by a recognised authority - in Colin's case the library official was obviously satisfactory, as would be an official from somewhere like the Kithead Trust, whereas in the case of your MG, Tony, presumably there was no document which actually quoted both numbers to show that one belongs to the other.

The piece of important information with respect to the fairly recent changes is the third piece of evidence on the V765 form. 

''other pre 1983 documentary evidence linking the chassis and the registration number to the vehicle''

I found it particularly useful in managing to register a vehicle that had been in a museum since the 1970's and off the road since just after the war. 

I used a dated published book, a dated club magazine and handwritten records which I could prove dates on.

V5 returned, no problems whatsoever. Other than for some reason they wanted back tax since 1905 when it was built. Given it was only registered in 1921 I thought that was a bit off.
(09-01-2019, 01:39 PM)Lance Sheldrick Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 09:43 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: OK 9365 is almost certainly not that car's original UK registration number. The OK series was finished before the end of 1923, and the car is clearly a C-type car dating from late 1924 onwards. It is not uncommon for British cars in the USA to acquire registration plates which do not match the original car (and I must admit I have done exactly the same thing in reverse - I imported a 1914 Saxon from the States and later acquired a set of period Connecticut licence plates which  attached to the car).

OK 9365 is the registration number used on the cover illustration of the 1972 edition of Wyatt's Austin Seven Motor for the Millions book so may be spurious, although the model of chummy ie AC type is the same.

My third edition (1982)  of Wyatt has a 3/4 rear view of OK9365 opposite page 48. "A contemporary view of one of the first Sevens taken in 1923 which shows the horn button & CAV switch panel on the extreme right of the dash"
The photo reproduction is poor, but does this car have these features.....