The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Gearbox thrust washer
Sounds like you've got an earlier (3sp) clutch release shaft as the earlier boxes used a cotter pin to secure the pedal. The 4 speed boxes are not so machined and use a pedal that's secured by a pinch bolt - it makes setting up the relationship between the pedal and the free play that much easier. I don't suppose it's a problem if you have the later pedal.
(23-12-2018, 10:54 AM)John Mason Wrote: Simon, Excuse my ignorance but what is a "Windage Tray "

John Mason

Hi John, it's a flat piece of metal that go in the sump where the gauge would normally go. It has slots cut in it to let the oil through and the slots are usually bent to catch the oil like louvers. You also add a vertical baffle beneath it. The idea is to control the oil flow and to also reduce the amount of oil mist being flung about by the crank which robs you of power. The vertical baffle helps control the oil sloshing about on cornering and acceleration/braking. It's a thing they do on race cars and sporty specials. I guess the plate adds a little extra stiffness to the crankcase too. 

Now, do I really need one on mine since I am guessing I won't ever race it?  Probably not! But I am not using the gauze since I have an external oil filter so I figure it can't hurt! You'd have to dyno it I imagine to see if it really helps with power. I have seen where they do that on big (500 hp plus) US engines and it actually made quite a difference but only at high revs. 

Simon

(23-12-2018, 11:14 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Sounds like you've got an earlier (3sp) clutch release shaft as the earlier boxes used a cotter pin to secure the pedal. The 4 speed boxes are not so machined and use a pedal that's secured by a pinch bolt - it makes setting up the relationship between the pedal and the free play that much easier. I don't suppose it's a problem if you have the later pedal.

Maybe mine has been replaced at some point? It would explain why the release bearing arm pins look a bit mangled and one was poking out more than the other. I better check those are in tight.  I'll stick with the pinch bolt for now as it gives me full adjustment as you point out.

I was dreaming of testing the gears last night actually but I am away visiting family for christmas for a few days so away from my shed!